Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Sagging ceiling liner

I'm getting ready to sell my old van and I need to clean it up a bit. The lining along the ceiling is starting to sag in some areas. I was wondering - can I run a hot air gun along some of those areas to soften the adhesive and then press the lining back in place? Or is there another trick that will work?

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Sagging ceiling liner

If it is a fabric liner probably not. It has likely already stretched from its own weight.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506

Sagging ceiling liner

I don't know any trick that will work for a shot headliner. It is one of those things that apparently can only be fixed by getting a new one. I have the same issue with my Camaro... just the front edge coming loose. The rest can't be too far behind. :-/
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,348

Sagging ceiling liner

I'm sure you guys know more about cars then I do, years ago I used some thing I ordered from J.C. Whitney that looked like plastic disks with a shaft on them that worked sort of like a pop rivit on an older model chevy my wife had that worked.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Sagging ceiling liner

Never seen anything like that. If you can find it post a link. Only problem is that you might stick up one spot but headliners usually keep coming loose so before long you'd have the roof covered with these things. But I'd like to see what you are talking about.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 510

Sagging ceiling liner

nothing glues wise works. reason being, outside liner sags because underlying foam peels off. it peels off because it simply deteriorated. crumbled, in layman English. yes, you staple it or else. good luck selling car like that.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Sagging ceiling liner

First of all, the reason the headliner fails on vehicles is... The owner smokes, or a previous owner did! The by products of smoking break down the adhesive and release the foam backed fabrics.

The only answer is to remove the headliner, reapply contact cement, and reinstall the headliner.

It's not difficult if you take your time, but it is a good deal of work. Figure the major part of a Saturday if you've never done it. The other option, take it to an automotive trim shop and have them do it.

If you smoke, your next vehicle will do the same thing, given time. If you are buying a used vehicle, don't buy one a smoker owned! It wrecks the upholstery, not only the smell, but the adhesives that hold upholstery to the panels.
CATliftTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 510

Sagging ceiling liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATliftTech View Post
First of all, the reason the headliner fails on vehicles is... The owner smokes, or a previous owner did! The by products of smoking break down the adhesive and release the foam backed fabrics.

The only answer is to remove the headliner, reapply contact cement, and reinstall the headliner.

It's not difficult if you take your time, but it is a good deal of work. Figure the major part of a Saturday if you've never done it. The other option, take it to an automotive trim shop and have them do it.

If you smoke, your next vehicle will do the same thing, given time. If you are buying a used vehicle, don't buy one a smoker owned! It wrecks the upholstery, not only the smell, but the adhesives that hold upholstery to the panels.

good one. y'all have my word - it's been attempted and several times. as a result, after few hours wasted on headliner removal, cleaning it, using spray on or brush on glues, result was like this:
1. the fabric itself is so thin that glue soaks and shows threw
2. even if you succeed with gentle-most glue application, it is virtually impossible to evenly re-stretch fabric back on
3. even if you conquered #1 and #2 (and I work with glues professionally 5 days a week) - it all peels off in about 2-3 days, as, like I said before - UNDERPLAYING FOAM SIMPLY CRUMBLES AWAY.
the only method that really worked was stapling darn thing back to the headliner base.
the only real success I had, on my son's 94 Eclipse, was to remove headliner, remove all foam completely, and then we glued new Naugahyde skin on. actually, came out very nice, as it looks like leather.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Sagging ceiling liner

Quote:

My dad smoked until he was 87, and in all the GMs he ever owned, not one had headliner problems. The cars did stink however. On the other hand, our new 95 Regal did have a small headliner problem later in its life, and I don't believe a smoker even sat in that car, let alone someone actually smoking in it. I think ukrkoz has the real culprit...a break down of the foam liner....and not from smoking, but simply roof heat and age.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #10

Sagging ceiling liner

Agree... smoking is nasty but hardly the main cause of headliner failure. Never smoked in my life... no one has ever smoked in my car. Headliner is still failing. Just old dry rotted foam lining. It's called entropy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
My dad smoked until he was 87, and in all the GMs he ever owned, not one had headliner problems. The cars did stink however. On the other hand, our new 95 Regal did have a small headliner problem later in its life, and I don't believe a smoker even sat in that car, let alone someone actually smoking in it. I think ukrkoz has the real culprit...a break down of the foam liner....and not from smoking, but simply roof heat and age.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 520

Sagging ceiling liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
Agree... smoking is nasty but hardly the main cause of headliner failure. Never smoked in my life... no one has ever smoked in my car. Headliner is still failing. Just old dry rotted foam lining. It's called entropy.
Right- smoking cigarettes being the primary cause of headliner "rot" is baseless, and Id like to see where this tale started. My van's headliner is rotted, and looking like a project for me- and I dont smoke- never- I am the original owner.

headliner sag is usually caused by oxidation of the foam from time/oxygen/heat from the blistering sun's rays. No way to fix right other than remove the entire headliner assembly, and get new cloth, and spray 3M heat resistant (or similar) neoprene based spray adhesive (pricey stuff).......
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #12

Sagging ceiling liner

Actually, I've successfully performed this operation a few times and the repair lasted for some time. I traded the vehicle (s) over a year later and the headliner still looked like new.

It's worth a try, if you want to get top dollar for your used car in a trade or outright sale. Again, take your time! Use 3M contact cement and you should do well. It takes less than a can on a mini van.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #13

Sagging ceiling liner

Talk to anyone in the auto trim business and they will confirm what I said. I smoked for many years and had to re- do the headliner twice on a truck I still have. It's a 79 dodge 4x4 I've owned since 1981. After I quit in 1994, I had the liner re- done a third time, by the same trim shop that did the two before, it's still up!

I don't care what you believe about smoking! Not my concern. I talked to numerous trimmers in the business and they observe the same thing! Do, or don't believe! It's not a religion. Just stating an observation. I offered a repair for the problem. Take it for what it's worth!

Smoking polarizes discussions. Not willing to debate the pros or cons of a foolish habit! It's not something anyone " has" to do to live. It's a bad habit. If you want to continue to smoke, knock yourself out! I gave it up because it's expensive and useless!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Sagging ceiling liner

Quote:

Smoking polarizes discussions.
I think George W. Bush is the cause of headliner failures.
(how's that for some polarization?)
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #15

Sagging ceiling liner

The truth is more likely in the middle ground: that smoking doesn't cause failure but maybe the chemicals do accelerate the deterioration. Of course since W (or maybe Newt in '94?) no logical fact-based middle ground idea about anything is acceptable. Hence smoking must either cause failure, or not... even if the facts say otherwise. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
I think George W. Bush is the cause of headliner failures.
(how's that for some polarization?)