Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Removing Polyurethane Overspray for cars paint finish...

Recently I made the mistake while spraying polyurethane onto a wood project of not covering my car first. It was parked about twenty five feet away but it managed to recieve the spray on it. I now have a fine polyurethane spray mist all over the upper portion of my car. I have tried a couple of different grades of Rubbing Compound and one (coarse grade) worked well for the windows. I cannot use that same grade on the paint however.
Next, I used turpentine on the entire painted surface and in one area I rubbed and rubbed using paper towels as the applicator and then using dry paper towels rubbed the same area again very hard. That seems to be doing the job but also seems like there MUST be an easier, quicker way.
Any ideas?
Much appreciated!
Thank you for your time.

Norm...

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 14

Try going over it with a quick wipe of lacquer thinner. I once used it to strip the the wax off my white painted car because the white was getting kind of off-white. It's the best bug and tar remover I've found as well. Make sure you get a fresh coat of wax when you're done.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

That depends on the car
Car finishes have changed greatly over the years, and what will work fine on a Bavarian Millennial Clearcoat can dissolve the finish on your '80s Mullet Muscle IROC
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #4

I made the mistake of spraying polyurethane and lacquer close to my car. You couldn't see it till you got facing a setting sun, then it was trying to look through fog. I read a few few post about Mothers white clay bar, which translates to muscle and elbow grease. I bought some Rainx-xtream cleaner. I had a orbital polisher I bought from Harbor Freight months ago. I cleaned the windshield for dirt and applied a liberal amount of Rainx and went to town on the drivers side then switched to the other side. I didn't know if it would touch it or not. I backed the car out of the garage and hosed it off and used a wet terry cloth rag to wash off any residue, dried it off and took the car out to the setting sun. There was not one speck of overspray. The whole job took about 20 minutes with hardly any effort.
Bruce Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Patterson For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 30

I suspect the sun or the crusher has taken care of Norm's car poly problem during the past 7 years.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #6

For any glass overspray, paint or urethane, simple flexible blade works like a champ, then tough it with rag wet with denaturate. Done.
1200 grit wet or dry takes care of almost any seasoned paint overspray, just don't stay in one spot for long and make sure you have plenty of water rinsing.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote