Removing Jammed License Plate Screws - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Removing jammed license plate screws

How do I remove 2 nylon license plate screws that are jammed in the holes?

Advertisement

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 540

I've found that a drill and easy-out work great in situations such as this

Advertisement

Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
Got it out. Next dilemna is the plate frame sticks out about 2 inches from the trunk door. It won't sit flush with my suv When I close it I can hear the plate frame hitting the suv body.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
What if the manufacturer made it so only nylon screws can be installed? The type that get stuck when you try to take them out. I want to try and put in stainless steel screws...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,168

Not sure that I follow you. Now, maybe there is a ball of plastic on the threads that acts as a lock, so that they don't vibrate loose, but other than that, the threads on the screws and nuts, either standard or metric, and perhaps in a couple different sizes of each, should still be standard. If however, the thread part on the vehicle is messed up, you can buy those at most auto parts stores. You will see on a new one that there are little plastic tabs so that when you push them in place, the tabs hold them from falling out. If you just need new screws though, your local hardware store should have them in any flavor that you prefer; metal, stainless, plastic, etc.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Not sure that I follow you. Now, maybe there is a ball of plastic on the threads that acts as a lock, so that they don't vibrate loose, but other than that, the threads on the screws and nuts, either standard or metric, and perhaps in a couple different sizes of each, should still be standard. If however, the thread part on the vehicle is messed up, you can buy those at most auto parts stores. You will see on a new one that there are little plastic tabs so that when you push them in place, the tabs hold them from falling out. If you just need new screws though, your local hardware store should have them in any flavor that you prefer; metal, stainless, plastic, etc.
For example if I buy the standard stainless steel license plate screws they go in only halfway for whatever reason
Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,168

Are you sure that you have the right thread? Or are they perhaps bottoming out?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Are you sure that you have the right thread? Or are they perhaps bottoming out?
shouldn't all licensse plate screws work? Why would the Highlander be different ?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Now it's making sense. A lot of Toyotas have threaded license plate holes, so only a certain thread pitch screw will work. If I recall (my Toyota dealer experience was about 8 years ago), its a fine thread, and I bet you are using a coarse thread screw. They'll start, but won't go in all the way.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Now it's making sense. A lot of Toyotas have threaded license plate holes, so only a certain thread pitch screw will work. If I recall (my Toyota dealer experience was about 8 years ago), its a fine thread, and I bet you are using a coarse thread screw. They'll start, but won't go in all the way.
exactly. what type should I get?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
World's Tallest Midget

Either go to a hardware store and find a thread that will work, or go to your Toyota dealer and they'll probably give you some.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

SOME-I don't have a list of these, newer vehicles within the last few years or so have metal "nuts" pushed into the sheet metal of the trunk/tailgate areas at the factory. Then these are "spot-welded" into place, and painted with the body in the paint shop. These are generally "blind-holes" also, meaning that too long of a screw will not go completely into them. Some of you may be familiar with "Dorman" products with supply many items to the auto parts stores. We have seen the replacement screws coming into use lately and they are not all the same size or length.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Toyota will most likely be using metric threads, perhaps you are using inch threaded fasteners?

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote