Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 254
Share |
Default

Removing/installing upper control arm bushings w/ the alltrade 648604 kit


I don't know wther to post this in tools or automotive. I decided to post my findings on the alltrade 648604 kit 25 bushing service kit. I looked for write ups on this tools and found none save for the amazon reviews where I purchased it. Here is my review: Ok I used it today. You do disturb alignment. You have to take 22mm nuts off bolts holding upper control arm on and swing arm out to remove 24mm nuts/washers/press bushings out. You can mark frame and try to mount control back on frame close to original location. Bushings press out from inside out arm. A receiving adapter goes on outside of control arm. It's supposed to sit over/around bushing on control arm(not bushing-it straddles bushing) but bushing was a little bit too big in diameter so it sat a little off center. A adapter goes on the inside to push bushing out. A c clamp w/ a treaded rod pulls the receiver and adaper together via a threaded rod tightened by a 22mm socket. I had to use a 17 inch long gearwrench flex head 1/2 inch ratchet to get enough torque to pop bushings. To press in new bushing,it is the opposite. The bushing is pressed in from the outside using a insert that matches bushing diameter. The other end of c clamp goes inside of arm w/o any attachements.Plenty of krano kroil was used to press out and press in bushings. I discovered that you really have to line insert up w/ bushing during press in and pay attention that it stays centered and doesn't slip to outside. This happened on first bushing and it slipped off bushing bent the metal lip of bushing and put a dent in outside corner of rubber. This was minor and since bushing was half pressed in I recentered insert and pushed it in the rest of the way. It looks ok in. Just a slightly bent lip on one side. The bushing on other side pressed in fine. Removal ,however ,involved the bushing being pressed out of arm but it remained seized on shaft. I removed shaft and put it in a vise. I removed w/ knipex pliers. Tommorow or wednesday i'll do the passenger side of my '99 dakota club cab R/T. Please note that this truck was garage kept w/ 50,000 orignal miles. Tool works well but I wish it would straddle outside of bushing better. I don't like pressing bushing out at a slight angle. I'm having trouble getting the upper control arm remounted. I think I will have to loosen bottom shock mounts so upper arm can be pulled back over the bolts on frame.


Last edited by toolaholic; 02-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Member
 
ukrkoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 571
Default

Removing/installing upper control arm bushings w/ the alltrade 648604 kit


post it on Amazon.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 254
Default

Removing/installing upper control arm bushings w/ the alltrade 648604 kit


Got arm mounted. Had trouble attaching brake line. It was bent. I rebent it carefully. It got caught by accident swing arm out for bushing removal/install. Has to order a 0 degree offset 22mm wrench to remove nut that holds arm to frame on passenger side exhaust manifold in the way. I choose a hazet wrench. So far just drivers side is done.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Member
 
r0ckstarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Texas
Posts: 1,060
Default

Removing/installing upper control arm bushings w/ the alltrade 648604 kit


I use an OTC Ball Joint Press for Control Arm bushings. It works great with a few large sized sockets.

This also works too, and I can verify that it does from experience for getting the rubber out of the casing.



I had a bushing that had been in the car since 1966 (actually, all of them were, but one particular one gave me a lot of trouble), and just would not press out without trying to collapse the arm. I did the drill trick to get the rubber out, then used a flat head screw driver and a hammer to try to cave in the metal casing so that it would fall out. When that didn't work, we cut it out.


Riviera Front End Rebuild by r0ckstarr, on Flickr

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 02-22-2013 at 06:31 AM.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (02-23-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan Speed Control tev9999 Electrical 3 12-03-2012 11:28 PM
Water Heater gas control valve/thermostat loose connection Claymation Plumbing 0 06-19-2012 02:18 PM
Upper control arm price JohnDeereGreen Automotive Repairs 4 01-14-2011 08:49 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.