Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recharging the A/C on a '99 Jeep Cherokee?

My girlfriend has a '99 Jeep Cherokee (Inline 6) and the a/c is blowing warm. I bought a recharge kit for it yesterday, but I can't find the nozzle on the vehicle where the hose should connect to.

The guy at auto zone told me that there is only one port in the system that the hose would connect to, which I found, but after I connected it, turned on the a/c and started the car, it seemed like it's not pulling anything from the can. I did find another cap near it that had a little tag on it that said "EVAP Service Port" so I decided to try that.

I tried to connect the hose to that port, but it was too small for the hose, however, if I would hold the hose on it with my hand, it seemed like it wanted to suck on it.

Has anyone ever done this on a 99 Cherokee? If so, I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Jesse

jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #2

Look at your compressor, you will see two lines attached. Follow the larger OD line to a service port, that is the one you want.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
Look at your compressor, you will see two lines attached. Follow the larger OD line to a service port, that is the one you want.
Is the compressor the little metal can looking thing up near the firewall or the part near the water pump that the serpentine belt wraps around? Also, what do you mean by OD line? Thanks!

Jesse
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpearson311 View Post
Is the compressor the little metal can looking thing up near the firewall or the part near the water pump that the serpentine belt wraps around? Also, what do you mean by OD line? Thanks!

Jesse
the compressor is the thing the belt makes go round and round.

OD= outside diameter

the little can up near the firewall is probably an accumulator. There might be a port on or very near that to connect your hose. Some manufacturers did put the low pressure port in that location.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
jpearson311 (07-06-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Your low pressure port is on the pass.side near the shock tower...
gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboost View Post
Your low pressure port is on the pass.side near the shock tower...
This is the port that I was using, but when I connected the recharge kit, it wasn't sucking it in. It wasn't doing anything. Any ideas?

Jesse
Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

did you open the valve on the canister of refrigerant?

it takes some time for it to draw the refrigerant into the system.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
did you open the valve on the canister of refrigerant?

it takes some time for it to draw the refrigerant into the system.
Yes I did. Last time I tried, I let it run for ~15 minutes.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Yes I did. Last time I tried, I let it run for ~15 minutes.
was the compressor cycling? If not, you may have to jumper it so it will run. Unless the comp is running, the pressure in the low side could be too high to allow the pressure in the can push any freon in.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
was the compressor cycling? If not, you may have to jumper it so it will run. Unless the comp is running, the pressure in the low side could be too high to allow the pressure in the can push any freon in.
I think I spoke before with someone about this, but the compressor was not cycling. What do you mean by "jumper it"? I figured this was why it wasn't sucking it in.

Jesse
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I think I spoke before with someone about this, but the compressor was not cycling. What do you mean by "jumper it"? I figured this was why it wasn't sucking it in.

Jesse
this may be getting in over your head a bit. You don't want to do this without some knowledge of what you are doing but a brief explanation:

the clutch on the compressor is electrically activated. To jumper it, you basically hotwire the clutch so it engages.

here is something you can try rather than that;

leave the car off. Connect the can of refrigerant. Turn it upside down. open the valve. Keep your hands around the can to warm it.

do that for about 10 minutes. Go ahead and close the valve and remove the hose from the car. Then, you have to NOT use the AC for several hours. What this does is tries to put liquid refrigerant into the low pressure side. If that liquid gets sucked into the compressor, it can ruin it, real quick. By letting it set, the refrigerant in the system will equalize and you won't have that slug of liquid on the low side anymore.

Then, try running the truck with the AC on to see if the clutch engages. If it will, then you just have to charge it as needed.

if it won't, well, let's see where that takes us.

Last edited by nap; 08-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #12

Quote:
this may be getting in over your head a bit. You don't want to do this without some knowledge of what you are doing but a brief explanation:

the clutch on the compressor is electrically activated. To jumper it, you basically hotwire the clutch so it engages.

here is something you can try rather than that;

leave the car off. Connect the can of refrigerant. Turn it upside down. open the valve. Keep your hands around the can to warm it.

do that for about 10 minutes. Go ahead and close the valve and remove the hose from the car. Then, you have to NOT use the AC for several hours. What this does is tries to put liquid refrigerant into the low pressure side. If that liquid gets sucked into the compressor, it can ruin it, real quick. By letting it set, the refrigerant in the system will equalize and you won't have that lug of liquid on the low side anymore.

Then, try running the truck with the AC on to see if the clutch engages. If it will, then you just have to charge it as needed.

if it won't, well, let's see where that takes us.
Sounds like a plan. I'll try it tonight. Thanks!

Jesse