Recall! - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

Recall!

I learned from numerous websites that GM had a recall in 1995 for a transmission shift cable issue. The shift cable on my 1995 Chevy just NOW exhibited the problem stated in the recall. The vehicle has been in the family since it was purchased new, but we have no record of a recall notification.

Is there a time limit or expiration on vehicle recalls? I plan to call a dealer Monday, just curious if anyone has tested an old recall.

Advertisement

jlmran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Recall!

A safety recall normally has no time limit/exp date. Just swing into a GM dealership to find out

Advertisement

D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 254

Recall!

I occasionally get 94-97 explorers in for seat-related recalls. If it's safety related it stays open eternally I believe. May call the dealer to see if they have to order the part first, not all dealers stock parts for recalls that old.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Recall!

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has a website where all safety recalls are listed for all vehicle manufacturers. You may/should be able to look up your vehicle if there was a safety recall, print this out and take it with you for leverage.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has a website where all safety recalls are listed for all vehicle manufacturers. You may/should be able to look up your vehicle if there was a safety recall, print this out and take it with you for leverage.
I actually did try this, with no luck. I even searched the "recall number" referenced by the various websites, again with no luck finding an official NHTSA or NTSB recall notification. Maybe I performed the search incorrectly.

So...I'll try a conversation with the dealer and see how accommodating they are to the rumor of an old recall.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Recall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmran View Post
my 1995 Chevy

Care to share the model? Or is it a secret?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #7

Recall!

C1500 pickup. Issue is with the shift cable becoming loose or out of adjustment, preventing the operator from placing the selector fully into "park".

Recall info mentioned online identifies the recall number as 95-C-43. I've yet to find the official one.

Last edited by jlmran; 01-15-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Recall!

There are different types of recalls if it was a safety recall it can't close and they have to fix it. Non safety recalls generally have a time limit to repair for free if it breaks in a specified time limit.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

Recall!

According to an answer by BigBob (in link below) it is a safety recall. I'm hoping so.

http://www.justanswer.com/gm/2bclm-9...ble-broke.html

Edit: bad link. Here is the text from the 'bad' link.

Dear GMC Truck Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in CERTAIN 1995 C/K model trucks with automatic transmissions. A condition exists where the transmission shift-cable lock clip may back out of its installed position resulting in a loss of cable adjustment. Loss of adjustment could cause the transmission to not obtain mechanical "PARK" when the shift lever is placed in the "PARK" position. If this occurred, the "PARK" indicator light would not illuminate. However, if the driver failed to notice the indicator light was not illuminated and did not apply the park brake, unwanted vehicle movement could occur.
To correct this condition, dealers will adjust the shift cable and install a redundant lock clip. This service will be performed for you at no charge.
Instructions for performing this service have been sent to your GMC Truck dealer. Please contact your dealer to arrange a service date. The labor time necessary to perform this correction will be approximately 20 minutes and parts are available. Please ask your dealer how much additional time will be needed to process your vehicle.
Your GMC Truck dealer is best equipped to provide service to ensure your vehicle is corrected as promptly as possible. However, if you take your vehicle to your dealer on the agreed service date and they do not service this condition on that date or within five days, we recommend you contact GMC Truck Consumer Relations by telephone. Consumer Relations will assist you and your dealer in getting your vehicle corrected. The telephone number of the Consumer Relations office is listed in your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Manual.
After contacting your GMC Truck dealer and GMC Truck Consumer Relations, if you are still not satisfied that we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,XXXXX S.W., Washington, D.C., 20590, or call 1-800-424-9393 (Washington, D.C. residents use(NNN) NNN-NNNN
The enclosed postage paid owner reply card identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this card to your dealer will assist in making the necessary correction to your vehicle in the shortest possible time. If you have sold or traded your vehicle, please furnish us complete name and address of the person you sold or traded your vehicle to and return the card to us.
We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our product.

Last edited by jlmran; 01-15-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #10

Recall!

I called two Chevy dealers and they both indicated that the only recall for my vehicle (based on VIN) is for a windshield wiper motor module.

Now I've asked BigBob from the justanswer website if he can confirm his original response.

Last edited by jlmran; 01-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

Recall!

Your part probably was a different build date than the faulty cables, so the recall didn't apply. It is 17 years old cables do go bad.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #12

Recall!

Finally found this. Note that the recall applies to GMC Sierra, but not a Chevy 1500. Seem odd?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

Advertisement