Pumping And Charging AC System - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pumping and charging AC system

Freon leaked out of the suction Schroeder (SP?) valve so I plan to pump out and recharge it. With a new valve of course. I see some instructions say to pump down to 27 in HG and nothing said about oil. Others say to pump down to 29 in HG and to add oil. Does the oil boil out between 29 and 27 HG?

Advertisement

H. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Phillips View Post
Freon leaked out of the suction Schroeder (SP?) valve so I plan to pump out and recharge it. With a new valve of course. I see some instructions say to pump down to 27 in HG and nothing said about oil. Others say to pump down to 29 in HG and to add oil. Does the oil boil out between 29 and 27 HG?

ac repairs are what i would call a shop only job. for alot of reasons

Advertisement

cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy dan View Post
ac repairs are what i would call a shop only job. for alot of reasons
I agree with the above. The only time you really need to add oil is if you are replacing a major component or had a catastrophic leak. Pump it down to 27-29" after two minutes turn pump off, wait ten and check to make sure the vacuum holds. Pump down for another 30. Recharge with weighed amount of refrigerant on low side with liquid.

Make, model and year would be helpful. Schraeder valves rarely leak, check your evap.