Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Share |

problem with rebuilding a starter motor

People,

Bosch starter, before dismantling it, I tested it with 12v, and clutch popped out, starter motor turned. It had about 100,000 miles on it, and the car did have trouble starting with that one, so yanked, it, put in new, and now trying to rebuild this one until the instaled one quits.

So, bought a new brush kit, spec'd out the bushings, and cleaned it up a bit. I believe I put it back together all ok......LOL

So, then, applied 12v to the rebuilt starter, and no start. Motor makes no sound at all. Clutch though, does pop out. man, where did I go wrong? I did notice a tad of smoke (sooo tiny), from the batery clamp connection point (12v is from a car battery, with jumper cables). other than that, no go.

Tips/condolences apreciated.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

All the wires hooked to the right poles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

I believe so. Hey, maybe I switched the poles of the solenoid?? I mean, if poles of solenoid are switched, would the clutch still pop out? I kinda doubt it, but not 100% sure......
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

There is no clutch on a starter, do you mean Bendix?
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_training/training_4.php
Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There is no clutch on a starter, do you mean Bendix?
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_training/training_4.php
There is a "clutch" on a starter. Ever take one apart/look at a diagram? At least, thats what people call them, guesss we could call them something else. Whats a bendix (without me looking it up on wikipedia)?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #6

I can't remember now which one is which but one type uses inertia to propel the gear into place while the other uses a magnetic solenoid to pull a plunger that drives the gear into place. If the solenoid is attached to the starter this is the type with the plunger.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleCat For This Useful Post:
noquacks (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how...solenoid-works
Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Remodeler

Did you clean up the commutator that the brushes run against? If so you probably shorted it out. The small spaces between the commutator segments can be easily contaminated with metal or carbon particles from cleaning and end up shorting out the armature.

I wouldn't bother with it, If you bought a quality rebuilt or new unit it will likely last as long as the original, not worth keeping it around in storage. Pretty small cost given the length of service. Usually a rebuilt unit will either fail quickly during the warranty period or last a very long time.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
noquacks (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I can't remember now which one is which but one type uses inertia to propel the gear into place while the other uses a magnetic solenoid to pull a plunger that drives the gear into place. If the solenoid is attached to the starter this is the type with the plunger.
magnetic solenoid- plunger, with spring, activates the clutch, with a fork, ......but again, thats not the problem- the clutch works. The problem is the MOTOR.

Last edited by noquacks; 12-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrfixit View Post
Did you clean up the commutator that the brushes run against? If so you probably shorted it out. The small spaces between the commutator segments can be easily contaminated with metal or carbon particles from cleaning and end up shorting out the armature.

I wouldn't bother with it, If you bought a quality rebuilt or new unit it will likely last as long as the original, not worth keeping it around in storage. Pretty small cost given the length of service. Usually a rebuilt unit will either fail quickly during the warranty period or last a very long time.
Yes, fixit, I did clean up the commutator, and the stacks. Shop manual says to do that. Now, if I shorted it, did I ruin it? Not clear on that- I followed the usual method of sanding down slightly the copper area, with fine grit, then dusted off.

The rebuild is junk. Squeals like mad upon start up. This original Im trying to rebuild is OEM Bosch, made in Germany. The bushings are even better condition than the new ones included in the rebuild kit for this starter! So, I kept them on.

Thanks, fixit.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

nice article, joe- now I know the bendix is the sprocket "gear"- whatever- still, the article confirms the starter has a clutch.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

took it apart, checkd commutator for ohms to shaft, and I get no circuit/infinity (thats a good unit, I understand), indicating no shorting (right, guys??)

put it back together. will batery test it tomorow, too late for me now- bedtime. Also, dark outside.
Thanks, people.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #13

Did you do anything with the solenoid? The plunger also is the contact for the big current that drives the motor. The contacts must be clean and free of oil, not burnt to a crisp etc. The plunger must be able to slide evenly so it slams all the way in and doesn't get lodged in its sleeve.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleCat For This Useful Post:
noquacks (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Did you do anything with the solenoid? The plunger also is the contact for the big current that drives the motor. The contacts must be clean and free of oil, not burnt to a crisp etc. The plunger must be able to slide evenly so it slams all the way in and doesn't get lodged in its sleeve.
thnaks, pole. Thinking about it- contacts are clean/no burnt. Now, remembering, before I took the whole thing apart, the starter DID work (I probably did not make that clear). So, solenoid, I assume should be OK. Right?

Also, doesnt it mean solenoid is ok since now it at least, does move the clutch forward into position. just that at that point, no motor activation. I mean, according to one source, that IS the solenoid go/no go test.

Wanted to try it today, but no time to jump it with batteryu cables. but dont worry, I wil get back to yous hopefully by sunday. Big thanks for your support in this perplexing matter, people!!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

I have a Ford starter here that I rebuilt for the same reason. All these part store parts seem to be junk anymore. I just changed the fuel pump on my work van three times before I got one that worked. The new window motor that I put in the driver's side a couple months ago has already quit.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote