Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Jack of all Trades

Share |

Painting a car

Hi folks,
I just "inherited" a 1998 VW Jetta. Body is in pretty good shape (no rust) but the paint is definitely In need of refreshment. I've painted a car or two in the past but that was close to 13 years ago. I was debating on having maaco do a cheapy re-paint for $330 but when I went and had them look at it, of course they found things to jack up the price. My total estimate was around $650... That being said I'm toying again with the idea of just doing it myself.

I guess my question here is has anyone painted their own car parts and what kind of paint did you use? I have a sprayer and know a little about prep-work but not sure on the paint. Maaco was just going to use a straight enamel. I think for the ease of doing it myself I would go the same route.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
Al C
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
JOATMON

Painting a car

I would suggest finding a buddy who does it for a living and wants to make a few bucks on the side.

I've done it as well. A lot has changed....the chemistry...the tools....if you want it right, by the time you get all the equipment you need and spend the time....$650 is cheap. Do you have a point booth? With water filtration? Do you know how much hardner to put in the paint? Is your air compressor totally moisture free? A proper air dryer will cost you $600.

If you want to save money...do all your on prep...then let someone else paint it.

Matco is not going to pull off trim...they just tape and shoot. If it's mine, if it comes off...I take it off...

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Still Decompressing

Painting a car

What quality level are you looking for? There are some folks that have gotten surprisingly good results rolling on rustoleum.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Painting a car

my girlfirnd had a vw bug that someone painted with a brush. was probably house paint too
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Jack of all Trades

Painting a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle
What quality level are you looking for? There are some folks that have gotten surprisingly good results rolling on rustoleum.
I'm looking for something a little nicer than a rustoleum roll on finish. LOL I actually painted my work truck with rustoleum's hammered paint...using a roller as an applicator. It surprisingly came out amazing. but that's a work truck, this is a car. I do need something nice for those far and few times I may have a date to take out LOL!!! Then again I'd be hoping my date actually like trucks and want to take my pickup

...but on a serious note I would like the car to stay nicer looking.

Ill look into prepping it myself. Thanks!!!
lifestooshort81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Painting a car

try search engine here.
Someone painted entire car, for a fraction of the cost, with roller. Seriously. Guy had to spend a ton of time sanding/polishing/buffing, but results were actually quite good and cost was around $100.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Still Decompressing

Painting a car

I spend a lot of time working on and around vintage mustangs. (mine is a '67 vert). The serious restoration guys have a hard time finding modern paints that give you the correct look of an original Ford Paint Job. Actually most of the modern stuff will look 'too' good. There are a couple of guys that used the Rustoleum and got very close to the look of an original 60's factory job.
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Painting a car

Before you rush off to paint this thing, have you tried detailing a small piece of it out with rubbing and polishing compounds first?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote