Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Oil pan gasket on 2001 sunfire

I have an oil leak. I can't really tell if its coming from the oil pan gasket, or if it is coming from the rear seal around the driveshaft and dripping down. All I see is "wet" brown spots on the oil pan and transmission pan in the areas beteen the two and I cant quite see up to the driveaxle. I figured I might try to just start changing gaskets so I am thinking to try the oil pan first. I am having tourble with finding consistent instructions. Some say just go under and remove bolts, but it looks like if I do that I can't tell if the pan will clear some other stuff. Some instructions say to remove things like the engine strut. I could take a guess at what the engine strut might be, but while under the car I wouldnt want to remove something vital by mistake. Does anyone with experience with a 2001-ish sunfire or cavalier give some clear instructions as what I need to do, possibly with a picture of the engine to point out what needs to be removed.

Although if you think I should start with another gasket feel free to help me there as well.

wvphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Oil pan gasket on 2001 sunfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvphysics View Post
I have an oil leak. I can't really tell if its coming from the oil pan gasket, or if it is coming from the rear seal around the driveshaft and dripping down. All I see is "wet" brown spots on the oil pan and transmission pan in the areas beteen the two and I cant quite see up to the driveaxle. I figured I might try to just start changing gaskets so I am thinking to try the oil pan first. I am having tourble with finding consistent instructions. Some say just go under and remove bolts, but it looks like if I do that I can't tell if the pan will clear some other stuff. Some instructions say to remove things like the engine strut. I could take a guess at what the engine strut might be, but while under the car I wouldnt want to remove something vital by mistake. Does anyone with experience with a 2001-ish sunfire or cavalier give some clear instructions as what I need to do, possibly with a picture of the engine to point out what needs to be removed.

Although if you think I should start with another gasket feel free to help me there as well.

doing the oilpan is fairly straight forward and is a good idea. so is the valve cover ( cam covers). but you might have a clearance issue. on pre 2002 2.4L the oil pump is rather large. it is a twin screw unit, looks like a supercharger. you might also have an issue with tranny lines (auto). you may have brackets that attatch to the oil pan bolts. you won't need to take off major pieces. use 1/4" drive socket 10mm, deep socket may be required. use long extentions and a u-joint if needed. use a gasket scraper, then use brake cleaner, rag and goggles to clean inside and out.

if it leaks from the driveshaft, it will be red, ie: tranny fluid. not that big of a deal.
if you have a manual tranny your leak may not be rear main. the getrag tranny is a weak unit. 2002 and later ecotec engines have much better units. could be slave cylinder leak. don't worry though. regardless, it all involves the same procedures. the book on either job is 10hrs... meaning it will take you... 30hrs if you don't sleep. i can walk u through it.

pm if interested.

cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote