Noma/Murray Snowblower Chain Problems. - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noma/Murray snowblower chain problems.

Got a 27" 8hp snowblower for free. After cleaning the carb out and getting the engine to start after sitting for five years, and fixing the belt problems in tested it out. After making it about 10 feet the drive to the tires stopped working. So I pulled the bottom of the unit off and found that the chain came off. When I put it back on I found that it was way too loose! There is no adjustment from what I see. I tried tightening the chain a link and it wouldn't allow me to. Anyone know a solution to this problem? Should I post pictures?

Advertisement

mxnoah418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,182

Am not familiar with it, but the first thing that I would look for is a nylon tnesioner that the chain ran across, but it seems that even if such a shoe had been there, and is now worn away to nothing, the bracket would be there, which would make it pretty obvious, so we'll skip that. The only other things could be that the sprockets are too close together or the chain has stretched that much. Sometimes the ends of the shafts set in bearings that have elongated mounting holes, in which case you can to loosen the bolts, and slide the bearings back. Other times, the shafts simply set in a stamped hole in the side of the frame, in which case you disassemble everything and weld it up, or wait for it to slowly die. Now, you said that the chain won't allow you to tighten it; surely it has a master link. You would typically locate and remove the master link, then grind off a link, and reinsert the master, after checking, of course, to make sure that you won't end up too short.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #3

There is no tensioner. And It does have a master link and there is not enough play to tighten it...
Old 11-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Don't get me wrong, not doubting you, just thinking out loud, but seems strange that it's jumping off cog and doesn't have enough slack to shorten it. So are the shafts mounted in bearings, or in holes in the side of the frame? If the latter, you should be able to see the ends of the shafts in the side of the frame, and see if any of the holes are deformed.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #5

Oh I know! Didn't mean that in a mean way. It is sitting in bearings.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

How are the bearings held to the frame? If by two bolts each, I believe that you will find that the holes on the bearing flanges are elongated, so that you can loosen them, slide them back, and retighten.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #7

You think exactly like I did. They should be made like that and easily could have been. But unfortunately not I called my local shop and they re going to try to take a half link out ? So I'm waiting for tires to come in the mail and then I'll be taking it over. If they can't fix it I will be drilling new holes to mount the brackets to make it tighter haaha

Advertisement