Nissan Truck, Stuck Lifter, Tapping - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nissan Truck, Stuck Lifter, Tapping

I have a 1995 Nissan Truck. It has 140000 miles. It ran like a champ, but I parked it for three years. I put a new battery in and it ran fine. I started it today and a lifter is tapping quite loud. How do I unstick it and can I drive it?

Advertisement

chickendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

Pour can of Seafoam into crankcase and let her run. As it gets better, take her onto freeway and give a nice ride, for maybe few hours.
Go back, change oil with flush oil. Be happy.
DO NOT RACE ENGINE.

Advertisement

ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
chickendude (07-19-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Change oil with flush oil - means, drain oil, pour flush oil in, run for 15 minutes or so, revving to a 2000 level and holding there for maybe 5-6 seconds; then drain that flush oil, will come out black, then replace oil filter and pour in good oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
chickendude (07-19-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Tried the seafoam, cause I love seafoam, but it did not work for me. But I did not run it for three hours on expressway. It is still tapping very loud. Crazy how it went from not tapping to tapping all at once. Do you know why? Plugged up push rod? Something stuck in lifter?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Ok. bRO.. I did what you said. Got on the e way. Stopped ticking. Thank you so much! Worked!!!! Runs like new!!!! You are my new hero!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Cool. You welcomed. Thing is, Nissan has very interesting lifter design. It's a hybrid, tappet and a lifter in the center of it. Lifter itself, as a result, is very tiny. For some reason, they bleed oil out of themselves very fast, resulting in scary knock.
My son bought Infinity G35 for his wife, and had that noise. Scared the holy crap out of us, sounded like engine went into pieces.
So now he really watches oil level. And Seafoms it before every oil chnage. Took two oil changes with Seafoam to fix the knock.
We are not looking forward to the next week. They are in Spain, car will not be driven for 2 weeks, I am anticipating knock at start up.

Advertisement