Need Help Finding A/C Clutch - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,852

Need Help Finding A/C Clutch

I have searched the web everywhere I can think of trying to find an air conditioner clutch for our 2000 Nissan Altima, anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 254

Our Advance Auto Parts can order it... It's a nippondenso factory part though. Pricey. Like $200 pricey. Advance Auto part #47337. Otherwise, a whole complete remanufactured compressor I can find for $195. Weird how that works. Best of luck...

Advertisement

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 550

Or, most likely, it's bad bearing $6 or so worth.
ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

I feel pretty sure it is the clutch. It will cool then after a while it will chatter sorta like a growl, while it is making that sound it isn't blowing cool air. If the clutch is that high I may as well just replace the compressor, I can get a compressor with clutch for about $160 or so. It will probably be about the same after having the unit charged back up.

Can the unit be recharged without having to draw a vacuum? Can it be recharged from just the can or is there more to it than that?

Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

Jim,

I have never seen a clutch that wouldn't be better served by replacing the whole thing. I have done a couple and come back around to replace the whole thing shortly thereafter.

The clutches are expensive as you have noted too.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Thanks WOW, looks like a new compressor is in the future. Thanks fellows for your help.

Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

[QUOTE= Can the unit be recharged without having to draw a vacuum? Can it be recharged from just the can or is there more to it than that?[/QUOTE]

No you need to vacuum the system down to remove all the air and moisture or the system will cool poorly and fail prematurely.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjm94 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm94 View Post
No you need to vacuum the system down to remove all the air and moisture or the system will cool poorly and fail prematurely.
Thanks CJ, I was afraid of that.

Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 518

Evaporator and orifice tube has be replaced if a new compressor is installed.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 990

rockauto has the compressor from $211.89 to $280.89. Just in case you haven't looked there yet. If you do decide to go with rockauto, ask around, or google for a promo code. They give a code out with every order for 5% off, which usually is enough to cover shipping sometimes.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
Evaporator and orifice tube has be replaced if a new compressor is installed.
This looks like it is going to be expensive, we may just drive it until it totally quits, the way it sounds that won't be long.

Jim
Old 07-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #12

No need to replace the evaporator core unless it's leaking. If you just have a clutch going out and no internal compressor damage there should be no contamination in the system. So just a compressor change should be just fine.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 550

And once again. Even from what he describes, it's a clutch bad bearing. Every clutch I had fail so far had exactly same cause - bad bearing. Chrysler, Mitsubishi, now Mazda. All same chatter, grinding noise - bad bearing.
It is quite so serviceable part, but it takes some technical knowledge and skill to get it out and replace. Unless friction plates on clutch are completely warn out. But otherwise, and had it done successfully, bearing, 2 hrs of cusswork, $6 - and boom. Didn't even have to remove compressor.
ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And once again. Even from what he describes, it's a clutch bad bearing. Every clutch I had fail so far had exactly same cause - bad bearing. Chrysler, Mitsubishi, now Mazda. All same chatter, grinding noise - bad bearing.
It is quite so serviceable part, but it takes some technical knowledge and skill to get it out and replace. Unless friction plates on clutch are completely warn out. But otherwise, and had it done successfully, bearing, 2 hrs of cusswork, $6 - and boom. Didn't even have to remove compressor.
Does the chattering, noise stop once the clutch has engaged? This one doesn't make any noise once it is engaged and only randomly at times. We will be driving along, AC blowing cool, no noise, then at no particular time it will make the chattering sound and quit blowing cold air. After it makes the chattering the first time it starts making the sound and quits blowing cold it is quit often then.

Sometimes when we start driving it won't make the noise or quit blowing for a long time but once it starts it just keeps making the noise then quits blowing cold air then goes back through that cycle over and over.

I have noticed that if it is at night and not real hot outside that the AC doesn't do that at all, it will cool like it is supposed to, it is only when it is hot out that it does that.

While the temperature gauge is below normal it won't make the noise or quit blowing cold on a hot day, it is only after the temps reach regular operating temps on a hot day that it will do that.

Jim
Old 07-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Does the chattering, noise stop once the clutch has engaged? This one doesn't make any noise once it is engaged and only randomly at times. We will be driving along, AC blowing cool, no noise, then at no particular time it will make the chattering sound and quit blowing cold air. After it makes the chattering the first time it starts making the sound and quits blowing cold it is quit often then.

Sometimes when we start driving it won't make the noise or quit blowing for a long time but once it starts it just keeps making the noise then quits blowing cold air then goes back through that cycle over and over.

I have noticed that if it is at night and not real hot outside that the AC doesn't do that at all, it will cool like it is supposed to, it is only when it is hot out that it does that.

While the temperature gauge is below normal it won't make the noise or quit blowing cold on a hot day, it is only after the temps reach regular operating temps on a hot day that it will do that.

Jim, I'm no expert on this stuff, but the fact that it's such an intermittent problem leads me to believe it might be something other than the clutch. The only bad clutch bearing I've run into personally squealed continuously while the clutch was engaged. Found a good link here: http://www.sanden.com/objects/Compressor_Noise.pdf #6 looks like it might apply to your situation. If it's a bearing issue, it's probably internal compressor bearings.

Advertisement

Last edited by ratherbefishin'; 07-21-2014 at 12:53 AM.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishin' For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-21-2014)