Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

How to Patch Car Paint

My car has one small area with its paint peeled off. Is there a good way to paint it and prevent it from peeling off more? I know store might sell paint to fix small scratches. In this case I have the area bigger than a scratch. It's better to paint it with something thick so that it will look more flat when painted. I was even thinking of trying finger nail paint but not sure if that will work.

Have a similar problem on an appliance, the smooth metal frame has a small nickel size area chipped off.

diy1618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

How to Patch Car Paint

So many variables here it is tough to answer, so back at you with some questions.
1. Is it the clear coat that has peeled off? (it happens) or do you have single stage paint?
2. Has rust made the paint peel off? (paint doesn't usually peel off unless there is rust underneath)
3. Is the metal damaged?
4. Exactly how big is the spot in question? Hoe deep? Does it expose metal?
5. Do you just want to patch it up or do you want a good job done?

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

How to Patch Car Paint

I have and recommend this how-to book.
Used copies sell for cheap on Amazon.
Attached Images

dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dogris For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (08-17-2012), Evstarr (08-18-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

How to Patch Car Paint

Attached the pictures. This is in bumper area, which was repaired before by a body shop. Apparently they did not do a good job. Answer your questions as below:

1. Does not seem to have clear coat. From the picture there is other cracks in the paint and I am afraid it will start peeling off too.
2. I don't think there is rust.
3. The bumper has been repaired/replaced, I don't know what the shop did to it, it's been a long time though.
4. Metal is exposed, see picture. Or maybe that's another coat underneath?
5. I just want to patch it up. Or at least it will not peel off more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
So many variables here it is tough to answer, so back at you with some questions.
1. Is it the clear coat that has peeled off? (it happens) or do you have single stage paint?
2. Has rust made the paint peel off? (paint doesn't usually peel off unless there is rust underneath)
3. Is the metal damaged?
4. Exactly how big is the spot in question? Hoe deep? Does it expose metal?
5. Do you just want to patch it up or do you want a good job done?
Attached Thumbnails
How to Patch Car Paint-img_4200-1-carpaint.jpg   How to Patch Car Paint-img_4202-1-carpaint.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

How to Patch Car Paint

Looks like the body shop didn't do very good prep work and the paint didn't stick to to the old.
I get from your reply, that you just want it to look better and stop the peeling. If it was me, and I just wanted a "quick and dirty" job, I would flake off the loose paint, and get a spray can can of dupli color paint. Mask off the good area, and spray it. Several light coats. It will not be factory perfect, but it would look better. Unfortunately if the body shop did such a bad job, it will start to peel somewhere else.
The Following User Says Thank You to polarzak For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

How to Patch Car Paint

Thank you. I just want a "quick and dirty" job too. What kind of paint do you recommend? Where to get the paint and spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
Looks like the body shop didn't do very good prep work and the paint didn't stick to to the old.
I get from your reply, that you just want it to look better and stop the peeling. If it was me, and I just wanted a "quick and dirty" job, I would flake off the loose paint, and get a spray can can of dupli color paint. Mask off the good area, and spray it. Several light coats. It will not be factory perfect, but it would look better. Unfortunately if the body shop did such a bad job, it will start to peel somewhere else.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 AM   #7

How to Patch Car Paint

You could almost use any paint, but even for a "quick and dirty" job, I would recommend an automotive paint.

I am not in your State, but I would assume you have auto motive parts shops which sell auto paint in spray cans. Normally they can sell you an exact color match if you provide them with your vehicle number (VIN). For that matter, you could do what the daughter's boyfriend did, and go to an automotive body shop and buy some paint from them, and brush it on. It doesn't look great, but at least is in not noticeable off in the distance.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #8

How to Patch Car Paint

If you want to do a quick and dirty job, then I would try to find your paint code first. See if you can match it at advance/autozone with some duplicolor. It's average paint at best, but it will work. Remove the flaking paint and try to find where it is somewhat adhering. Be careful, you could end up with a mess of flaking paint. Then take some 600 wet/dry paper, soak it in water then feather the edges until they are fairly smooth (I also use 1000/1500) to keep it smooth.

It looks like you are shooting a urethane bumper, so before you shoot paint, use Bulldog Surface prep. It's an adhesion promoter for urethane/plastic. It will also act as primer. Shoot the color paint right over it and follow with some clear.

You might be surprised how it will come out with a little careful prep work.

Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty1Mc For This Useful Post:
diy1618 (08-24-2012)