Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

GM plastic intake gaskets

I have a NEW to me '97 olds sihllowette with a 3400 motor.

Just found out today the intake gasket is plastic,,,and they ALL leak.

A guy told me it takes 6-7 hours to change that,(according to the book),,it seems like a LONG time.

IF they ALL leaked,,,wouldnt that be a recall item???As a defect??

If its not it should be One place quoted 1100 bucks,,,other place said 550 should do it!!

Question is,,,do you NEED special tools to do this???Can one d-i-y???

Thanks--d--

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #2

I have a '98 Buick with the 3.1l engine (basically the same, I think)

The lower intake leaks too.. Like you said, it was a real big problem.

I think the pink radiator fluid they used was a problem too. (turns acidic, Ive heard..)

Ive had the car for around 50,000 miles and its never gotten worse. (now with 150k). I just add stop leak to it every once in a while.
I know its just a band aid..but changing that intake would be a pain, and Im an automotive guy. Not something I want to tear into..
The stop leak has kept the leaking to a minimum for 50,000 miles..so no reason to fix it, really.

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #3

so my question is,,,will it leak coolant INTO the oil which is a death call waiting to happen???
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
so my question is,,,will it leak coolant INTO the oil which is a death call waiting to happen???
If enough leaks in, you can severely damage your engine. This does not happen to ALL engines.

Have had a 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8 all with over 200k miles and no problems, although the 3.8 was losing a small amount of fluid before I turned it in. There was a class action suit launched in 2008 for the 3.8 problem, however you had to sign on by November.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #5

Yes, They do many times leak coolant into the oil (bad can wear out of ruin a engine quickly). They are a problem. Not to many special tools but a rather large job for the average Do it yourselfer. I believe Fel Pro is making a new type of gasket for most of them now that has a metal area surrounding the O ring style seal that is more reliable the OEM plastic design.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #6

G.M. has a revised gasket for these applications. Unless your pretty good
at mechanical repairs, I wouldn't suggest starting with an intake gasket.
You could create more expensive repairs than you fix. Flat rate time to make reoairs is about 6 hours and parts should probably run two hundred
dollars or so. If coolant is leaking internally, it can do some major damage.
Check your oil, if it looks like a milk shake, I wouldn't drive it..
frazierdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #7

I wouldn't advise it, but if you attempt this repair yourself make absolutely sure you put the pushrods back in the correct locations, they are 2 different lengths.
oregondiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #8

My 98 Chevy P/U is in the shop right now getting the intake gaskets replaced (189,000 mi). They also found a water leak at the heater hose connection. Quote is about $600 due to the labor intensive gasket change out. Hopefully, they caught the leak before it has caused damage to the engine.
Mike
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
frustrated

alot of people dont know that just because there isnt a recall there is such a thing as a service advisory in which dealers will make such repairs at little or no cost to you the consumer. I dont know if there is one on these troublsome motors but check your local reputibal gm dealer and ask about a service advisory. I had a 1999 f-550 roll back that had clutch problems and there wasnt a recall but after a big run around from a not so reputibal dealer another in the area found that there was a service advisory and the clutch system was repkaced from the pedal to the fly wheel. hope this helps good luck
grumpypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #10

I would't bank on any factory assistance on the intake gaskets. Oldsmobile dosen't even exist anymore, and given the state of G.M. finances, I would doubt any special policy would be issued on a vehicle that old. I suppose a class action suite could come about, but given the age and high mileage on vehicles that old, it probably won't happen..
frazierdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
The Dogfather

It's a common problem on those engines. I just did our Grand Am over the summer, and it was only about a 6-7 hour job, including replacing the AC condesner/dryer, changing spark plugs, PCV, oil/filter, descreening the MAF, adding a CAI and cleaning the TB, MAF, and K&N :D.

Just be sure to get the EXPENSIVE gasket set- I think it was about $75-85 at Advance.

Plan on that gasket set lasting about 75k or so.
HawkZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don
Hi there if the leak is external then you should be ok. But WHEN it leaks internally then ur screwed. I'm a general motors technician and I know this is common there is no recall but you must get it done. Some places charge less than the dealership but at least at the dealership you know it's getting done right. I suggest you buy aftermarket gaskets that are metal instead of plastic and install those. Also make sure while you are there you charge the thermostat and the oil pump drive shaft seal. Messageme back if you need more detailed instructions. I can do an intake job win my eyes closed. Lol! I've done hundreds. Usually oy takes me 2-3 hours
GrandMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondiy
I wouldn't advise it, but if you attempt this repair yourself make absolutely sure you put the pushrods back in the correct locations, they are 2 different lengths.
Yes that is a key point the long push rods go under the gasket that is what I always keep in mind. Also make sure that you torque the rocker arm bolts to the correct spec for that engine. Alot of times people torque the 8pm bolts to the same torque As the 10pm bolts and after driving it for a while it will stripp and pop out other head. Then you will have to change the head gasket or install a timesert . When changing a head gasket you will have to redo the intake job so you would have wasted all of you money.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #14

If you DIY, get an alldata account for your van and study the procedure. It is pretty difficult, so give yourself a lot of time and don't rush. If you have an indoor garage that's preferable. The plastic intake manifold and dexcool antifreeze were IMO a huge mistake. I have a 91 Olds Silhouette and it has the aluminum manifold. 180K miles and that has never been an issue.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz
If you DIY, get an alldata account for your van and study the procedure. It is pretty difficult, so give yourself a lot of time and don't rush. If you have an indoor garage that's preferable. The plastic intake manifold and dexcool antifreeze were IMO a huge mistake. I have a 91 Olds Silhouette and it has the aluminum manifold. 180K miles and that has never been an issue.
Well it is not the plastic that is the problem. We see more intake manifold gasket leaks with the aluminum manifold on the 3.4 and 3.1 liter engines rather than the 3.8 liter with he plastic manifold or what the proper name is plenum. The issues are win the composition of the gasket material and people not flushing their coolant system every couple of years. Trust me I would know I work at a gm dealership and see all of the crap that comes through the door.