Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

gas mileage

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 conversion van and I'm wondering if there's anything that I can do to better the gas mileage (like putting a chip in it)??

florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

gas mileage

What mileage are you getting now?
Those are pretty heavy so your only going to be able to get so much out of it.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

gas mileage

Around 12 miles per gallon
florpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #4

gas mileage

Buy a different, smaller car is about your only option. They are heavy, big engined, and have the aerodynamics of a brick wall. Anything you do might get you at best an MPG or two, but... anything else would require magic.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
raylo32 (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

gas mileage

How you drive can make a difference.
Check out Mythbusters episode on hypermiling if you can.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...-episodes3.htm
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

gas mileage

I have a loaded 1999 Jimmy (4.3L) 4WD that gets poor mileage (17 mpg) around the area because of the speeds and traffic. The leather interior is perfect. On one stretch I travel at a 50 mph limit, it kicks into overdrive after 40 mphs and the revs drop (and mileage increases). When I get on a trip (freeway) it will easily get 21 to 23 mpg on a long route.

That is good enough for me because it is paid for, bulletproof, no rust and only 175,000 miles on it. It is just what is needed and the question of a new car is ridiculous if I look at the payments and increased licensing of a high mileage car. - My wife has a "kissing cousin" - a 2000 Blazer 4WD with 140,000 miles and it makes it easier to understand the car and the quirks. The 4WD does drag things down a bit, but they are run in 2 WD except for as day or two a year.

Next week, I may off for a 3500 mile (round trip) in the next couple of days and I do not have to do anything special.

A new smaller car does not fit everyone.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I have a loaded 1999 Jimmy (4.3L) 4WD that gets poor mileage (17 mpg) around the area because of the speeds and traffic. The leather interior is perfect. On one stretch I travel at a 50 mph limit, it kicks into overdrive after 40 mphs and the revs drop (and mileage increases). When I get on a trip (freeway) it will easily get 21 to 23 mpg on a long route.

That is good enough for me because it is paid for, bulletproof, no rust and only 175,000 miles on it. It is just what is needed and the question of a new car is ridiculous if I look at the payments and increased licensing of a high mileage car. - My wife has a "kissing cousin" - a 2000 Blazer 4WD with 140,000 miles and it makes it easier to understand the car and the quirks. The 4WD does drag things down a bit, but they are run in 2 WD except for as day or two a year.

Next week, I may off for a 3500 mile (round trip) in the next couple of days and I do not have to do anything special.

A new smaller car does not fit everyone.
If that is aimed at me- I agree, and wasn't advocating a smaller car for environmental or any other reasons. I'd much rather people keep their old cars than fill up landfills just to buy a "new" car, and payments on a new car are ridiculous. THAT SAID, the only correct answer to "how do I increase gas mileage" on a car like that is get a different car. Or cover up the gas gauge with black tape.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #8

gas mileage

K&N air filter, synthetic oil,accel cap and rotor. Spark plugs and wires if plugs are due. Synthetic gear oil in rear differential. Front end alignment if needed. This last one is a biggie: remove belt driven clutch fan and install electric fans.
toolaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

gas mileage

toolaholic -

Well said!!! My "strange Jimmy" came to me from GM coporate with just a bit over 24,000 miles and it had a K&N filter, fresh synthetic oil change with Mobil 1 and I found papers that gave the strange history of the maintenance records in detail.

If you have a sound car and maintain it properly, it will last longer than you want it to. - I sold my C4 Corvette that got great mileage, but because of it was not compatible with the snow and storing it was inconvenient.

My dream car is a Bugatti Veyron from VW/Porsche , but the $2,500.000 price tag, 2 year delivery and 12 minutes on a full tank at top speed (265 mph) does not make sense. I always wanted the fastest production car in the world, especially when the manufacturer does not make money on it.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

gas mileage

Often, its the way a person drives that uses excess gas. I'm a bit heavy footed myself.