Fuel Leak Where Filter Line Meets Tank Line - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

fuel leak where filter line meets tank line

hey everyone. i have a 1990 Cutlass Ciera 3300. i just replaced the fuel filter, and now there is a leak from the "quick connect" area where the nylon line, just upstream from the filter, meets the metal tube coming from the tank (pictured).

when i was removing the old filter, i noticed some drips coming from that same spot as i was jimmying the "quick" connectors off. Furthermore, i had noticed recently a smell of raw gas recently every once in a while, so that could've been the culprit.

i haven't run or even started the car yet, because when i turn the key in the ignition, i can hear the fuel spilling from that spot under the car. it does it for a few seconds before it stops, but it's a considerable amount of gas.

i definitely pushed the "quick connector" all the way on until it clicked, and then a little more for good measure after i noticed the leak.
could it be the fact that the metal line coming from the tank is so rusted?

any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
fuel leak where filter line meets tank line-img_0188.jpg  

Advertisement

sonofthetonsured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
ninj

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Swansen

hmm, well, honestly, it would be really cool if you could get up some more pictures of the lines from the pump, and the fuel lines themselves just to get a better hold on the situation. Ok, on that, you didn't really say where the leak was, but i'm guess its where the metal lines from the fuel pump meet the rubber fuel lines. Honestly, there is only a couple options, first one being to try to clean the metal lines a little bit to get a better seal, second option would be to put a hose clamp around where the lines meet, but just be careful to not over tighten it. Other than that, you would probably have to replace the fuel pump as i'm guessing those lines come out of the top of it. Alternatively, the rubber fuel lines themselves might be worn, but thats something to look for, if the rubber is brittle.

Advertisement

Swansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

actually i figured out what the problem was. the <"leak from the "quick connect" area where the nylon line (just upstream from the filter) meets the metal tube coming from the tank"> was caused by the pep-poys fuel filter (the black rubber hose from which is pictured) having no gasket inside the quick-connector. which means the connection was less than ideal, to put it lightly. tho i appreciate the consideration, swanson.
thanks..
sonofthetonsured is offline   Reply With Quote