Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Front rotor removal

I have 1999 corolla. While I was driving 3 tire studs broke from my front passenger side. I have tried to remove brake rotor, after removing caliper with brake pads. Brake Disc should come out easily but it does not. The car was driven a bit with only one stud. What should I do? Why does it not come off? please help

machovera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 576

Front rotor removal

It's rusted to the hub. First spray the center where it contacts the hub with a little penetrating oil. You'll see two small threaded holes in the rotor, one on each side of the hub center. Find a couple bolts that fit those holes and thread them in until they contact the hub, then alternately turn the bolts 1/4 turn at a time until the rotor pops loose.

How three studs broke is beyond me, though I'm guessing either you were driving with loose lug nuts, or some kid at a tire shop got overzealous with an impact wrench. The lug nuts on that Corolla should always be hand torqued to 76 ft lbs.

ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Front rotor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
It's rusted to the hub. First spray the center where it contacts the hub with a little penetrating oil. You'll see two small threaded holes in the rotor, one on each side of the hub center. Find a couple bolts that fit those holes and thread them in until they contact the hub, then alternately turn the bolts 1/4 turn at a time until the rotor pops loose.

How three studs broke is beyond me, though I'm guessing either you were driving with loose lug nuts, or some kid at a tire shop got overzealous with an impact wrench. The lug nuts on that Corolla should always be hand torqued to 76 ft lbs.
This is most likely right, Its been a while since I've worked on one.

Ratherbefishin, I know some Asain made cars have the rotor behind the hub so you have to take out the front wheel bearings to get the rotor off . I hope for Machovera that isnt the case with his. If I had access to my fathers AllData account I would look it up but its been a while since I've logged on and forget the password.

Good Luck Machovera.
greenhorn oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
(the original)

Front rotor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn oo1 View Post
This is most likely right, Its been a while since I've worked on one.
This is exactly right, and it hasn't been a while since I've worked on one.....

And btw, the bolts I use to press it off are 8mmx1.25, 50mm length.

Last edited by ratherbefishin'; 11-28-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Front rotor removal

That is why I have always bought GM. A sledge hammer works great in loosing rusted on rotors. (assuming there are being replaced anyway)
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
(the original)

Front rotor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
That is why I have always bought GM. A sledge hammer works great in loosing rusted on rotors. (assuming there are being replaced anyway)

Yeah, that sledge does great things for your wheel bearings, CVs, and alignment, too. But who cares if you do few hundred dollars damage as long as the rotor comes off, huh?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 502

Front rotor removal

I'll slap a brake drum with a 2 pound rubber mallet to loosen rust enough to get it off, but you should never hit a brake rotor with anything. A three pound sledge, judiciously used on a tie rod joint at the knuckle will work wonders to get it off, but a brake rotor has delicate parts behind it that don't like getting pounded with a sledge. It should be pulled off, either with a threaded pull, like a steering wheel puller, or a big three jawed puller around the rotor. If you have to hit it, put tension on it with the puller, then just tap it with a rubber mallet, then tighten it up some more. Use the rubber mallet as a persuader, with taps on a rotor under tension and it'll come off, and not damage the bearings and CV joint, etc.

Try just pulling it off first though. That works 99% of the time.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
(the original)

Front rotor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I'll slap a brake drum with a 2 pound rubber mallet to loosen rust enough to get it off, but you should never hit a brake rotor with anything. A three pound sledge, judiciously used on a tie rod joint at the knuckle will work wonders to get it off, but a brake rotor has delicate parts behind it that don't like getting pounded with a sledge. It should be pulled off, either with a threaded pull, like a steering wheel puller, or a big three jawed puller around the rotor. If you have to hit it, put tension on it with the puller, then just tap it with a rubber mallet, then tighten it up some more. Use the rubber mallet as a persuader, with taps on a rotor under tension and it'll come off, and not damage the bearings and CV joint, etc.

Try just pulling it off first though. That works 99% of the time.
Yup, these Corolla rotors are tapped for a threaded pull, but I find the slightly uneven pressure from the two bolt method to work faster than a straight pull. They usually pop right off by the third 1/4 turn.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Front rotor removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
Yeah, that sledge does great things for your wheel bearings, CVs, and alignment, too. But who cares if you do few hundred dollars damage as long as the rotor comes off, huh?
Never been a problem in 30 years. And if you knew your vehicles, those items take for more of a beating just driving around town than they will with a few TAPS with weight of a sledge hammer. Imagine for a moment, if you can, the forces on the components you mention, that a 4000 pound vehicle must be able to endure on some of our less than perfect roads. I hardly think I could SWING a sledge hammer with as much force as these components are DESIGNED to handle. Tapping the rotor a few times is not going to damage ANYTHING, not even the rotor in most cases. But, then again you must be referring to components from Japanese vehicles. Building cars out of old rusty Zero scrap metal, does make them weak. huh?
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 502

Front rotor removal

If all else fails, go get one of these. The rotor WILL come off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ler-66657.html

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote