Front End Alignment Saga! - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

Front end alignment saga!

So, I took the Villager down to have the front end aligned on Saturday. I took it to a Goodyear store, with an alignment special of $70. I get there, drop it off, walk down to the café nearby to read the paper while they align it. They call about 40 minutes later (knew they would). They say it is so badly out of align it will take extra work and cost me $116. I said, Ok, but they couldn’t do it until today.

I leave the van. They call me this morning and tell me the outer and inner tie rod require replacement, and it will cost $315. I said, “I’ll just come get it, how much do I owe you?”

They said, “Nothing, we haven’t really done anything to it yet except put it on the machine and measure it.” Plus 1 for them. They didn’t charge me anything yet.

I went and got it, got the spec sheet from their alignment machine and yeah the driver’s side toe in spec is way off. I already knew that. That’s why I needed it aligned. According to the shop manual, the only adjustment possible it the toe-in. To adjust it, you loosen the locknut, then turn the tie rod to shorten or lengthen it. I told the guy this, and said, “Don’t you just adjust the length, get it right and that’s it.”

“Oh the inner tie rod has to be adjusted too and yours can’t be, it has to be replaced.” This is BS. The inner tie rod is a ball and socket, with a threaded fitting that goes into the steering rack. It isn’t adjustable at all. If it is loose, and clunks, it needs to be replaced. Mine isn’t loose, nor does it clunk.

I have the van back, and will probably just lengthen the tie rod to get it closer to spec (it was 4 degrees off). At least they didn’t charge me anything to inspect it. That’s cool.

Question: am I right? Is there something I am missing here? I just have a DIY knowledge base, but from everything I have learned, they’re trying to jack up the cost for unnecessary repairs. Oh, the strut was fine, no issues with it at all.

Advertisement

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 95

i would think you are correct. i know of no inner tie rod, on a r/p system ( any modern tie rod for that matter ), that is adjustable on its own. theyre adjusted as a pair.

could be trying to jack you, you might have one bad tie rod and theyre trying to sell you both sides under the guise of replacing them as a group....which, honestly, isnt too bad if it's got high mileage. sort of like not replacing just one shock or strut, doing those in pairs or all 4 at once.

or maybe he was a doofus and didnt say, correctly, what the issue was?

Advertisement

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,224

Get a second opinion at another repair shop, preferably one that does alignments as their main business, or at the dealership.

I have very little experience with any vehicle newer than 1990, So I would be mostly guessing but it cannot be bad if the ball and socket is tight. use a pry bar to put a little stress on the joint, and push/pull at the steering wheel to see if it is a loose movement.

ED

Last edited by de-nagorg; 06-29-2014 at 04:35 PM.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

I work at a ford dealer. That guy is full of sh** you are correct the inner tie rod is a ball and socket. You rotate the inner rod in or out of the outer end to make the adjustment. That is the only place to adjust toe on each side. If its not loose it's good. To check with it jacked up try to wiggle the tire back and forth you will feel play if it is loose.
cjm94 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjm94 For This Useful Post:
Bigplanz (06-29-2014), de-nagorg (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #5

I guess i shouldn't have told them i put the tie rod end myself.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 982

Go to another alignment shop.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (07-04-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

I turned the tie rod myself until the wheel was slightly toe in by eye. Drove it around, wheel is straight, van doesn't pull, goes straight with no hands on the wheel. Good enough, I reckon.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Not. even 1 degree off and you are needlessly wearing off valuable rubber from your tires.

And where I am from you need all that rubber to grip the road as long as you can possibly keep it.

ED
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (07-13-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Not. even 1 degree off and you are needlessly wearing off valuable rubber from your tires.

And where I am from you need all that rubber to grip the road as long as you can possibly keep it.

ED
You're right, of course. Maybe get it aligned if can find a place I can trust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigplanz For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,800

You can turn the wheels straight, get under the car and measure from inside tire to tire, mid ways up in front and mid way up in back of the tire and adjust the tie rod until you have the same distance front and back of the tires. Also when doing that check to make sure you aren't adjusting to where the steering wheel is no longer in the dead forward position. In other words, if you adjust the tie rods wrong, it will turn the steering wheel. You will be driving straight down the road and the steering wheel with not be in the straight ahead position. This is harder to explain than I thought.

If your tie rods are not adjusted where both wheels are straight ahead your tires will feather and will wear out fast, out of align the tire is actually dragging against the road.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Bigplanz (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

It was like driving a floor polisher, now it's like a car that needs an alignment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigplanz For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #12

Not knowing anything about your area (Louisville, Ky. ) I cannot recommend any place to get an alignment other than "try to find someone that does only alignments,"

That way they have no iron in the fire trying to sell you extras, ( tires, marked up parts, brakes, shocks, belts, batteries, etc.)
And will do the alignment, and might tell you about any related parts that are getting iffy.

ED

Advertisement