Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Share |

Ford SD 7.3 Diesel Mileage.

Anyone know what I can expect gas mileage wise on a Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3 diesel engine? What if it's a standard transmission, any difference?

And would anyone know what the expected gas mileage would be on a Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 5.4 gasoline engine?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Anyone know what I can expect gas mileage wise on a Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 7.3 diesel engine? What if it's a standard transmission, any difference?

And would anyone know what the expected gas mileage would be on a Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 5.4 gasoline engine?

Thanks.
My dad had a 2000 with the 7.3L Powerstroke, extended cab/6' box, 4x4, auto. I'll ask him when I see him today, but I know the mileage was slightly less than a Prius.

It's obviously going to vary a bit depending on cab/box configuration, 4x2/4x4, axle ratio, tranny, and of course the right foot.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

I appreciate it, Jay. I'm interested in the extended cabs with the full 8' beds. Automatic hopefully but standards work just as well and usually get better mileage but the extended cab Ford F250 Super Duty 7.3 Turbo Diesel.

Like this one. http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3005443571.html

Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

I have a 99 7.3 that's bone stock. 81 k on it. It has an auto trans. I get 17 on the hwy. I want to put a controller on it. I have heard many people getting 21 or better once they do this.

Good luck
Michael
msmith5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msmith5554 For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

I think the guy selling that white SuperDuty (linked craigslist ad) is full of crap. You don't regularly see those PowerStroke diesels running over a million miles.

Anyway... A LOT of factors go into average mileage, but a 3/4 ton SuperDuty Diesel is probably going to run you upper-teens on the highway. A little less if it's a 4x4. The same truck, with the gas engine, is likely to run 13-14 on the highway. Again, a bit less if it's a 4x4.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
A LOT of factors go into average mileage, but a 3/4 ton SuperDuty Diesel is probably going to run you upper-teens on the highway. A little less if it's a 4x4. The same truck, with the gas engine, is likely to run 13-14 on the highway. Again, a bit less if it's a 4x4.

Don't say that, I'm picking this one up this week. 2006 F-250 Super Duty, 5.4 gasoline V8 Triton. I'm hoping it'll get into the upper teens to low 20's highway, 15-ish in the city. I'll be adding a programmer or chip of some sort as soon as I can but for now it's all stock.

Under the truck.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #7

Well, it looks like I'm a little late, but I'll still share what I found out for the archives....

Like me and my vehicles, my dad had a record of every tank of fuel he put in that rig. I just do it with a pen and notepad, but I checked out his Excel spreadsheet. His mileage varied quite a bit, anywhere from 10-20 MPG, mostly city, with 'winter fuel' representing the low end. It's hard to believe diesel fuel was in the $1.50 range back in 2000 when he bought the truck new. He kept it until about 3 years ago, and still regrets giving it up.

There was a slight increase in MPG after the Hypertech chip, and he said there was a noticeable increase in power, but couldn't recall the exact HP/torque increase.

To expand on the specs from my previous post, he had the 3.73 axle ratio. I'm not sure what, if any, other gears were available.

That's about all I got.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

3.73 is stock differential even today, from what I've been led to believe talking with owners of 7.3's.

Not too late just yet, Jay. I have a few days to a week to pull the trigger. I'll admit it, I'm still confused as to whether it's the newer model 5.4 that attracts me most with the least amount of miles or for the same amount of money the older and near or over 200k miles on the motor diesels that can go for over 500k miles which most likely would save on gas but can cost over three times to maintain...?

I need to sleep on it, see how I feel tomorrow about it. Thanks Jay.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

It's coming down to the nitty gritty. I'm checking this diesel out today to see if it changes my mind. It's a '99 with 174k miles. New clutch. Seller says it's in excellent condition. No leaks or anything.

Thoughts?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3012330197.html

Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
World's Tallest Midget

You'll be very happy with that truck. I had a 96 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 7.3L Auto and 33" tires, and I once got 20.5mpg on a long trip. Of course, that was at 60mph with 4.10 gears, once I got to 70mph, it went down to 17 or so. If that truck is factory stock, it'll have 3.73 gears, since after 99 that's the only gears you could get with a 7.3L.

One thing I see with that Craigslist ad is that the transmission is actually a 6 speed, 5 regular ones and a compound low. That compound low is nice, you can sidestep the clutch with your foot off the throttle, and you won't kill it.

I'm glad you aren't getting that 5.4. These trucks weigh a metric s***load, and it just isn't powerful enough. The V10 was only an $800 option, and the mileage is almost exactly the same since the V8 had to work so much harder.

And if he says there are no leaks, he's probably lying. The rear main seals leaked from the factory. Its not a huge deal, because there's 15 quarts of oil, but just know that.

And when I worked for a Ford dealer, I had a customer with a 95 E-350 Club Wagon with a 7.3L, and 960K on the original engine. That was years ago, so its probably well over a million by now.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
It's coming down to the nitty gritty. I'm checking this diesel out today to see if it changes my mind. It's a '99 with 174k miles. New clutch. Seller says it's in excellent condition. No leaks or anything.

Thoughts?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3012330197.html
For what it's worth, I've got a good buddy who has a truck very similar to that one, except his is a 350 and (I think) is one year newer. He absolutely loves it! The only thing he doesn't like is that it's a 2WD instead of a 4x4.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

That's the whole reason this guy is selling the truck, he needs a 4 x 4 for towing farm equipment around. He's actually already bought the 4 x 4 and now just has this one taking up space, I believe. I don't need to tow anything but I will be filling the bed but even then, not even to capacity. That and driving long distance often.

Yeah, everyone I'm talking to is saying to buy the diesel, that 174k miles on it, especially the 7.3, is relative to a 5.4 at 40-50k miles, just barely broken in.

Plus the 5.4 is auto tranny and who knows how it's been used. That tranny could go tomorrow or it could go 100k miles from now.

I'll be going tomorrow to check out the diesel in the pic. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 05-15-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
You'll be very happy with that truck. I had a 96 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 7.3L Auto and 33" tires, and I once got 20.5mpg on a long trip. Of course, that was at 60mph with 4.10 gears, once I got to 70mph, it went down to 17 or so. If that truck is factory stock, it'll have 3.73 gears, since after 99 that's the only gears you could get with a 7.3L.

One thing I see with that Craigslist ad is that the transmission is actually a 6 speed, 5 regular ones and a compound low. That compound low is nice, you can sidestep the clutch with your foot off the throttle, and you won't kill it.

I'm glad you aren't getting that 5.4. These trucks weigh a metric s***load, and it just isn't powerful enough. The V10 was only an $800 option, and the mileage is almost exactly the same since the V8 had to work so much harder.

And if he says there are no leaks, he's probably lying. The rear main seals leaked from the factory. Its not a huge deal, because there's 15 quarts of oil, but just know that.

And when I worked for a Ford dealer, I had a customer with a 95 E-350 Club Wagon with a 7.3L, and 960K on the original engine. That was years ago, so its probably well over a million by now.

I've seen on craigslist many 7.3 diesels with over 200 and over 300k miles and selling for close to and even over 10 grand.

I will be driving this thing a whole heckuva lot so most likely I will buy the diesel. It's also got a new cluth, one less thing to worry about.

I'll drive it tomorrow and make a decision then.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

The marine dealer attached to our Ford dealership has a small fleet of 99-00 7.3's used to pull boats across the country for delivery. Last one I changed oil on had 834,000 on it, still runs like a champ. On it's 3rd clutch now. They all have mileage similar to that. The drivers absolutely love them, don't want to get newer trucks. Unloaded he said they're averaging 21 mpg highway.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Thoughts?
Sweet!

174K on that engine isn't much. Looks sharp, 8' box you want, manual tranny.

I hope the price is right and the seller isn't BS'ing about anything, because that just might be a great catch.