Fan Belt Needs Tightening - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fan belt needs tightening

I have a 1997 plymouth vouager,3.0 v6 . The belt that goes around the alternater is loose and squels . How do I tighten it up ? There are two belts .One goes around the air conditioner , I have already tightened it up ,but I have not figered how to tightened the other belt . Help please.

Advertisement

jamesw6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

This has a spring loaded automatic belt tensioner, no manual adjustment is possible and will need to be replaced.

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I thought my problem was a fan belt but maybe it is something alse . W hen I put it in reverse the air conditioner cuts off. When I drive it it will go off every now and then.
jamesw6777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 622

Did you just purchase this vehicle? Sometimes the compressor is designed to disengage in times of a high engine load (reverse?). This could possibly operating as designed. Does the compressor just disengage or are you getting warm air when driving? Most newer vehicles regulate the displacement of the compressor to get the desired cooling, some may disegage the actual clutch.
The reverse has me puzzled. With just normal driving I'd say this 11+ year old system is either low on charge or you may have moisture in the system and the evaporator core or TXV is freezing.