Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exhaust leak?

One thing done, another thing pops up. 95 Villager, 144K. Just did the tie rod and strut. Had a sudden overheating problem. Temp gauge elevated, but didnít go past H. I checked it out, and the heater hose I had repaired with a splice a year or so ago looked wet. I bought a new hose, and put it in this weekend. Actually was easier than I thought it would be. Hose came off the firewall with no difficulty and off the back of the engine easily as well. New hose went on; I tightened everything up, added coolant and started it up. Almost immediately billowing smoke from behind the engine. LOTS of it.

I shut the van off checked the hoses and they were fine; maybe a drop or two of wet coolant from when I changed the hose, but no leak. I re-located the clamps a bit, tightened them all up, and started the van again. Billowing smoke, almost immediately. When I revved the engine the smoke billowed a huge cloud. Sure the neighbors loved it. The temp gauge was normal.

I got out of the van, with it still idling and sat down off to the side to observe. Smoke billowing up from behind the engine, smoke curling up from under the car. Grayish white smoke. Ah ha!

No exhaust was coming from the tailpipe. Maybe a whiff, but thatís it. Man! A massive exhaust leak? Now thatís a new one. Maybe I accidently disconnected the EGR tube coming out of the back manifold, but from the looks of things I have a bad manifold gasket.

Anybody have a similar experience or any ideas on trouble shooting this. This Villager is keeping me busy. My wife just shakes her head and goes back in the house, but my five-year old son loves to help daddy fix the car.

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Exhaust leak?

Every exhaust leak I ever encountered was noisy.

Antifreeze on a hot exhaust manifold smells different than oil on a hot manifold.

A blown head gasket during a overheating situation isn't unheard of.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #3

Exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Every exhaust leak I ever encountered was noisy.

Antifreeze on a hot exhaust manifold smells different than oil on a hot manifold.

A blown head gasket during a overheating situation isn't unheard of.
^^I was thinking head gasket or warped head.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Exhaust leak?

I certainly understand the possibility of it being a blown head gasket. That occurred to me right away. What is curious about this is how large the volume of the exhaust leak is. When revving the engine it is literally billowing like a cloud. No exhaust (virtually none) was exiting the tailpipe. I have some limited experience with a blown head gasket on a friend’s car, and it was nothing as dramatic as this. His car was running rough, cloudy oil, etc. Seepage and rusty deposits around the head gasket. This is like, well, the exhaust system is disconnected from the van.

Van runs fine, idles normally, temp gauge at normal (at least now). I agree that every time I have ever experienced an exhaust leak you could clearly hear it. The exhaust might be a little throaty, but nothing unusual.

Since this is sort of an extra car now, not in day to day service, I will experiment with it. If it’s a goner, I will use it for test purposes. Take the plenum and intake manifold off to look around down there. Maybe even pull a head! If it’s going to the junk yard anyway, why not? You can get some invaluable experience on an old junker. Replace the timing belt, just to see if I can, that sort of thing. Do the work parked on the street in front of the house. It’s the Kentucky way!

When I’m done, pay $50 to haul it to pull apart and clear a $150 on it. It’ll be fun! (My wife, again, shaking her head… My son will love it though.)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I got out of the van, with it still idling and sat down off to the side to observe. Smoke billowing up from behind the engine, smoke curling up from under the car. Grayish white smoke. Ah ha!
Sorry, I misread. The smoke is from just behind the engine? Allow to cool and hose it off well. Don't overdo the water on wires or electrical components. You may have coolant trapped (between cat heat shield and cat) and its just burning/steaming off. Does the steam have a sweet odor?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6

Exhaust leak?

No, not sweet. No puddles on the ground. Lots of dingy gray smoke like exhaust gas. When i blew a heater hose last year, snow white and van overheated fast.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 16

Exhaust leak?

Did you bleed the system?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #8

Exhaust leak?

There is a flex pipe on the exhaust right at the back of the engine area. They are prone to breaking. Wrapped in a wire mesh too. Could be soaked with coolant.
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjm94 For This Useful Post:
Bigplanz (07-21-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #9

Exhaust leak?

Smoke pours out as soon as you start it? Got a video?
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Exhaust leak?

Coolant leak ONTO exhaust pipe? Doesn't take much of engine work to get pipe VERY hot, you know.
As of cracked exhaust manifold. I haven't mentioned one I had on my Tuarus. Had cracks so wide you could almost stick a finger in.
Dude, why don't you just rid of that thing? Someone put jinx on it. Want to experiment, get old Civic, experiment all you want to.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #11

Exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Coolant leak ONTO exhaust pipe? Doesn't take much of engine work to get pipe VERY hot, you know.
As of cracked exhaust manifold. I haven't mentioned one I had on my Tuarus. Had cracks so wide you could almost stick a finger in.
Dude, why don't you just rid of that thing? Someone put jinx on it. Want to experiment, get old Civic, experiment all you want to.
Could be a coolant leak, but he still has no exhaust coming out of the tailpipe.

Another vote for an old Civic. I had an '86 and an '87. Swapped motor from an '87 Integra into the '87 Civic. It was a lot of fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #12

Exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
Smoke pours out as soon as you start it? Got a video?
Great idea! Q: how do i post video. My access to the site is through an android LG phone. Can't upload pix from it.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #13

Exhaust leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz
Great idea! Q: how do i post video. My access to the site is through an android LG phone. Can't upload pix from it.
You can use a third party site - e.g., google drive. Upload your video there then post the video link here.
Druidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #14

Exhaust leak?

Get the youtube app. Make video, upload, and share the link. Either this or the method above would work.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #15

Exhaust leak?

Finally got a video uploaded.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKUlsQ...m-upload_owner