Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Codes 1684 and 0456

My elderly mother-in-law has a 2002 Dodge Caravan that she really only drives to church on Sundays! Well, ok, she also drives to the hairdresser and the grocery store, which are both a block away.

Anyway, about a month ago, her check engine light came on. I did the turn the key off and on three times trick and got the error codes 1684 and 0456. 1684 is the battery disconnected in the past 50 starts code, which I don't understand the point of. 0456 is the code that has to do with the evap system. I took it to the Firestone where I've taken my cars for the past 25 years. They ran a smoke test and came up negative. They said maybe the gas cap was tightened up incorrectly the last time it was fueled.

Now the light has come back on. I got the same error codes. Is this something she should be concerned with? I'm inclined to say don't worry about it, but telling an 84-year old to not worry is kind of wasting your breath.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Codes 1684 and 0456

You do know that if you enter them online on say Yahoo or Google, it will tell you what the P code is. Normally if you get the evap code, yes it is because of the gas cap 99% of the time. As for the battery code, could just be some corrosion on the terminals.

Early year Caravans were not that great, which includes past that year in particular.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #3

Codes 1684 and 0456

An evap system will not cause any problems. It is most likely a cracked hose near the charcoal canister or the purge or vent solenoid sticking at times. I've rarely fixed an evap code with a has cap.

Last edited by cjm94; 06-26-2013 at 06:30 AM.
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Codes 1684 and 0456

Wouldn't a cracked hose have shown up during a smoke test?
bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Codes 1684 and 0456

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksone View Post
Wouldn't a cracked hose have shown up during a smoke test?
Not always.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Codes 1684 and 0456

P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected What does that mean? The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) at different times performs various tests on the EVAP system. OBD II Enhanced EVAP systems are in place to keep fuel tank vapors from venting into the atmosphere, and instead purges them into the engine to be burned. Regular pressure tests are conducted by the PCM to monitor the sealed system for leaks. The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set. Potential Symptoms There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management. Causes Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve The EVAP Canister may be leaking Possible Solutions First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote