Check Engine Light - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Check engine light

I had a check engine light come on
Had it checked out and was told it was the variable timing oil valve (or something like that).
Couple hundred dollars for the part, and a couple of hours for labour... but they needed to order the part. Ill be a week.
In the meantime, I switched an interior light on, and the car sat for a couple days, draining the battery...oops...
Boost the vehicle, now the check engine light no longer comes on.

So whats up? Sensors and valves and such just don't fix themselves.
So was it just a blip in the sensor, setting off the light originally, but really there is nothing wrong with the part?
Is the valve or whatever completely fried and doesn't even pick up to indicate the light should come on?
Something else?

Basically im asking should I be spending $400 bucks to get this part fixed.

Advertisement

phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Check engine light

When the battery goes dead for a long enough period of time, the computer will loose voltage and the stored codes.

If you drive it around and the issue was not a one time blip, the code will hit again and it should be serviced.

Anything with oil control in the description should not be ignored.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Check engine light

thanks
I wouldn't ignore a check engine light, unless I knew it was for something trivial.
I was just curious to know that since the light is no longer illuminated, if it would come back on if there indeed was something wrong, or if it would just stay off because it no longer registers even though something is wrong
But from what I have been hearing, its the former
phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Check engine light

Ive always ignored those stupid check engine lights on both cars Ive owned that have had it, never had a problem, it's just another idiot light designed to scare drivers into taking it into the garage and spending hundreds on "diagnostic tests" and unneeded parts they change out in the hopes of hitting the right one that turns the light off.
Mine has come on at times and stayed off at other times, no reason or cause, both cars had over 200,000 miles on them and I still have my current one a 94 Old Cutless wagon, the light comes on now and then and goes off for long periods. It's started up perfectly every time, even in below zero temperatures, not once has it malfunctioned or let me down and needed a tow.

If there was anything serious it would have conked out years ago since I've had the car now for about 8 years, and 200,000 miles proves the light is a joke.
If I could pull the bulb out easy I would.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 990

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
Ive always ignored those stupid check engine lights on both cars Ive owned that have had it, never had a problem, it's just another idiot light designed to scare drivers into taking it into the garage and spending hundreds on "diagnostic tests" and unneeded parts they change out in the hopes of hitting the right one that turns the light off.
Mine has come on at times and stayed off at other times, no reason or cause, both cars had over 200,000 miles on them and I still have my current one a 94 Old Cutless wagon, the light comes on now and then and goes off for long periods. It's started up perfectly every time, even in below zero temperatures, not once has it malfunctioned or let me down and needed a tow.

If there was anything serious it would have conked out years ago since I've had the car now for about 8 years, and 200,000 miles proves the light is a joke.
If I could pull the bulb out easy I would.
This is not the best advice to give. Being that you have a '94, you have OBD1. You can easily check your code with a paperclip just to see what it is. Your light could be on due to something simple, where-as the poster above may have a different, more serious issue.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Check engine light

The check engine light..........what a cash cow that little feature has been for the manufactures and repair shops alike.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
The check engine light..........what a cash cow that little feature has been for the manufactures and repair shops alike.
I agree with you 100%. I had a stalling issue on an older OBD1 vehicle many years ago, and the code read as something (can't remember now) and the dealer wanted to charge me big bucks to fix it. Having worked on cars before OBD1 was invented, and knowing a small garage out in the country, I went to him for his opinion. With the car running, he tapped the Mass Air Flow sensor with a screw driver, and the car stalled. The MAF was not the condition code stores in the OBD1.
Went to the wreckers picked up a MAF for $15.00 and the car never stalled again and the Check Engine light was on for another 50k miles or more.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polarzak For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 550

Check engine light

Question number one everyone missed - what the heck is the car in question?
Question number two is - apparently, it's a reasonably new vehicle with alleged variable timing actuator malfunction. IF THAT IS THE CASE, and it is really bad, you will be forking much more than $400 and in observable future.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,230

Check engine light

One of the nice things about newer cars is that if whatever set the light doesn't repeat in some number of engine starts, the light goes out.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 518

Check engine light

Make, model and year of car please.

Exact code # if you remember.

Any drivability problems?

Advertisement

Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigplanz For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (05-30-2013)