Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 606

Check engine light

Is there anybody out there that will/can reset my ECM? I replaced three busted vacuum lines that I feel 99% sure were the culprit. I went down to Advance Auto for a reading and it indicated lean on both banks. So it makes sense. But Advance won't/can't clear the light and I hate to have to disconnect the battery just to see if the condition has been cleared by the repair.

PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Check engine light

The auto stores for the majority do not have people that know how to understand the diagnostic info. Napa, you may be able to find someone. The best place is a local mom & pop shop. Could just be that you have bad gas. Pour some Lucas Injector cleaner in at the next fill, unless already full, then pour it in, and run through the tank. Then take and get the next reading at the mom & pop shop.

Either this http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment or use this first http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...stem%20Cleaner

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Check engine light

You'd probably be better served asking this kind of question on a forum that focused on your brand of vehicle.

If it's a newer car with an OBD port then you could get a bluetooth-to-obd adapter (cheap, around $25 on ebay) and use a smart phone app to read the codes and reset the ECM. I use an app called Torque on my android phone for this, works great.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
BirdSlapper (05-09-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
The auto stores for the majority do not have people that know how to understand the diagnostic info. Napa, you may be able to find someone. The best place is a local mom & pop shop. Could just be that you have bad gas. Pour some Lucas Injector cleaner in at the next fill, unless already full, then pour it in, and run through the tank. Then take and get the next reading at the mom & pop shop.

Either this http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...el%20Treatment or use this first http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...stem%20Cleaner
That was actually my first inclination because I had just switched to the front tank because the fuel in there is maybe a year old by now. I have been running the back tank to reduce load behind the axel. So I was looking over the guys shoulder and saw for myself the read out. Looking under the hood I quickly noticed that three vacuum lines had rotted completely open. They have been replaced now. The truck runs great. I understand the light will clear itself if no fault is found after around 70 miles or so. And I do run injector cleaner through it occasionally. It has always ran great.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #5

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You'd probably be better served asking this kind of question on a forum that focused on your brand of vehicle.

If it's a newer car with an OBD port then you could get a bluetooth-to-obd adapter (cheap, around $25 on ebay) and use a smart phone app to read the codes and reset the ECM. I use an app called Torque on my android phone for this, works great.
Yeah, I forgot to mention it is a '96 f-150. I have a stupid phone so running apps is out but I have a nifty laptop that I could connect via usb. I will be looking into that.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Check engine light

Yeah, you wouldn't want to remove the neutral from the battery, that's too much work. I suggest a little bit of electrical tape over the CEL, that will make it go away.
toluene_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Check engine light

You don't need a computer or a phone, just buy a dummy reader off Amazon or wherever. I have one of these :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, lets you reset the codes. Assuming your '96 has an OBD2 connector, of course.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by toluene_hawk View Post
Yeah, you wouldn't want to remove the neutral from the battery, that's too much work. I suggest a little bit of electrical tape over the CEL, that will make it go away.
Yeah, that is like telling people, that they do not have to put air in their tires, that it is okay to run around with flat tires and drive on the rims.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
You don't need a computer or a phone, just buy a dummy reader off Amazon or wherever. I have one of these :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, lets you reset the codes. Assuming your '96 has an OBD2 connector, of course.
A 1996 should have a OBD2, since that is when they were widely adopted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Bill Kearney

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Yeah, I forgot to mention it is a '96 f-150. I have a stupid phone so running apps is out but I have a nifty laptop that I could connect via usb. I will be looking into that.
More trouble than it's worth to use a PC and a USB connection. It's a hassle trying to get all the drivers and software to speak to each other properly. It'd be a LOT less trouble to just get a standalone OBD display, one that has resetting capabilities.

Also note, many vehicles will clear their diagnostic codes (un-light the CEL) if you leave the battery disconnected for 10 minutes. The code will likely still be in the computer but the CEL won't re-light until the same error trips again.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 554

Check engine light

If the lean condition has been repaired, just drive it. The light should go off soon enough (3 drive cycles).
Hardway (05-07-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #12

Check engine light

I heard that it would go off on its own eventually. I drove to Indy and back yesterday and it remained on so maybe there is a hose I missed somewhere.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Check engine light

Could be that, or a bad wiring harness.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Bill Kearney

Check engine light

Did you disconnect the battery? If not, you're wasting your time posting about it. Either get a programmer to clear it or disconnect the battery. That'll clear the CEL until it detects the problem again.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #15

Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Did you disconnect the battery? If not, you're wasting your time posting about it. Either get a programmer to clear it or disconnect the battery. That'll clear the CEL until it detects the problem again.
But the battery terminal is all icky and greasy and stuff.