Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Burning Ignition Points In A '69 Buick

hi folks,

a new neighbor just moved in nextdoor to me. he has a '69 buick, that he said just started burning up the breaker points a few weeks ago. he is on his second set of points! its been awhile since i fooled with cars on a regular basis, but i told him he prolly needs a new ballast resister, that if i remember correctly, should be mounted on firewall or fender well. he said he did change the condencer each time with the points, so im thinking ballast resister. he is going to get a new one from napa.
the ballast resister reduces the voltage to the breaker points from 12vdc to around 6-8vdc, if memory serves me right.
i just wanted to run it by this forum to see if im on the right track. also, does anyone know the timming specs for this engine: '69 buick 350cid, not sure if it has a 2 or 4 barrel carb...thanks....bob

Last edited by bobo; 06-26-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add text
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #2

Since I haven't had a Buick in about 40 years I'm not much help, but you might try a Buick forum and they should be able to shed light on the problem. Found this one that might be helpful:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/f727/
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
General Contractor

The reason a coil will have 2 wires to the hot side, is for 12 volts during start, and then the ignition circuit has a resistor that cuts the voltage to 6. But the basic is, yes, a resistor is used to reduce voltage and keep the points from arcing. If there is only 1 wire to coil hot side, then it either starts on 6 volts, or picks up 12 to start at another point.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #4

hello,

thanks for the info guys, i checked the voltage at the positive side of the coil with the ignition key in the "on" postion, and it is about 6vdc, which is good. the car will start sometimes. i pulled off the cap and checked the distributor shaft by trying to move it from side to side and it has quite abit of play, and also oil is getting into the distributor. i think the distributor is wiped! engine has well over 200k on it! im going to rent a dwell/tach meter, and check the dwell before i replace the distributor. if the dwell wanders, id say its the bushings are shot in the distributor. i found the timing specs....bob
Old 07-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #5

hello,

installed new stock distributor today. set dwell, timing, runs like new! thanks for all the advice...bob