Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Share |

Brake job

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD I started to do a brake pad replacement on. I got the caliper housing off the bracket with some movement back & forth, replaced the pads & now I don't know how the housing goes on. Does it go over the anti-rattle clips or under? This is my 1st time at this. It seemed like they were under the clips prior to removal of the housing. Can somebody please advise me?

susank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Brake job

look at the other brake assembly that should be together still as a reference. make sure you compress the pistons back into the calipers to make room for the new thicker pads.

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
susank (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Pretending to be Retired

Brake job

I always take pictures of my jobs and at my age, with memory loss, the pictures sure have come in handy to jog the old noggin. Try going to Auto Zone and/or Advance Auto web site and see if they have step by step directions for replacing these. They may have just the thing you are looking for. I use these sites all the time.
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigD9 For This Useful Post:
susank (07-10-2011), Thurman (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Brake job

I can do a brake job blind folded for the most part. Follow the suggestions listed here and also:

Loosen the master cylinder cap to allow expansion into the reservoir when you compress the piston back into the caliper. It will allow overflow if too much is pushed back into the master.

The anti-squeal clips usually go between the brake pads and the mounting bracket. The caliper will slide over the brake pads.

Make sure NOT to get any grease on the rotors or pads. If you do, clean thoroughly with brake clean before you assemble.

I always clean up before I assemble the brakes. That way I keep dirt transfer to a minimum.

MAKE sure to push the brake pedal in a few times after you finish the job. This will re-expand the pistons to contact the pads to the rotor. My neighbor forgot to do this, his wife backed up the vehicle, hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor (as expected the first time you press it). She hit another vehicle, ugh...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
Pretending to be Retired

Brake job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
I can do a brake job blind folded for the most part. Follow the suggestions listed here and also:

MAKE sure to push the brake pedal in a few times after you finish the job. This will re-expand the pistons to contact the pads to the rotor. My neighbor forgot to do this, his wife backed up the vehicle, hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor (as expected the first time you press it). She hit another vehicle, ugh...
Oh yes, it only takes one time failing to adhere to this tip for you to remember it for a lifetime!
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote