Brake Bleeding System, Hand Operated - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

brake bleeding system, hand operated

from JCWhitney and others.

They say only one person is req'd to operate the thing.

Can anyone recommend for or against any particular brand, or a reasonable price to pay for a system that is convenient to use?

One of Whitney's $50 pumps has a rebuild kit on the same page. This doesn't exactly give me a warm feeling.

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
from JCWhitney and others.

They say only one person is req'd to operate the thing.

Can anyone recommend for or against any particular brand, or a reasonable price to pay for a system that is convenient to use?

One of Whitney's $50 pumps has a rebuild kit on the same page. This doesn't exactly give me a warm feeling.
I've had really good luck with the Motive power bleeders. I've found that the bleeders that "suck" the old brake fluid out tend to also draw air bubbles in past the bleeder valve, making it hard to determine when there's no more air in the lines.

You also have to be careful not to suck the reservoir dry.

I would also recommend getting a vehicle specific unit, or at least one with a vehicle specific cap. The universal ones work, but are more prone to leaking pressure.

Also look into power bleeders that make bleeding much quicker.

Advertisement

dedlewamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 622

I've used a Mityvac with good results to exchange the fluid. If you just need to get the air out you can always gravity bleed the system.
Attached Thumbnails
brake bleeding system, hand operated-hvpo_mv8500.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #4

I think at this point I will exchange the fluid or take it to a service station and have them do it.
Gravity bleed hasn't worked too well for me in the past.

Thanks, folks.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Having worked on the brake systems of many autos and light trucks, I will state that I do not like any brake bleeding system which draws/vacuums the fluid out of the system. I prefer to use a pressure bleeding system which pushes the fluid through the master cylinder, the lines, and wheel cylinders with just enough force to push the new brake fluid through. I/ME also like to do the system twice. YES, it's more time/labor/fluid, but a much more efficient job. Unless you buy specific brake fluids, at high cost, 99% of brake fluids sold over-the-counter will absorb water via moisture within the air. There is a venting system in your master cylinder reservoir this air can get to the brake fluid. Moisture within the brake lines leads to deterioration of the lines from within, rust basically. That's one reason I was taught to do this bleeding sequence twice. Just my 2 worth, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

I'd like now to replace the fluid. It's a '94 Honda Civic DX and I have the factory manual. It takes DOT 3 or 4 and I bought 4.

Besides having the pedal down a max of 2/3rds of the way and the bleed bottle higher than the bleeder nipple and the old fluid sucked out of the master cylinder reservoir, my concern is not having the brake light come on - but I don't see how it can be avoided as long as there is a pressure imbalance in the dual system.

Maybe this pressure switch problem can be avoided with very low pressure on the pedal?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
- but I don't see how it can be avoided as long as there is a pressure imbalance in the dual system.

Maybe this pressure switch problem can be avoided with very low pressure on the pedal?
that i usually how I avoid the red light. The pressure imbalance is just that. It takes a certain amount of pressure differential to trip the light. Easy on the pedal usually avoids that.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote