Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

Blower Resistor Block Location for 2002 Ford F150

I finally got around to changing my blower motor resistor block in my truck today. It was a balmy 17 out so I thought what the heck. The hardest part of the job was to locate where the darn thing was.

It is located back behind the glove box toward the top. The picture is taken from the floor looking up. You really have to get under the dash to be able to see it.

Blower Resistor Block Location for 2002 Ford F150-blower-resitor-location1-fw.jpg

Some sites I visited looking for the location of the resistor said you had to remove the glove box to gain access to it. This is not the case; I was able to get to it without removing anything else. Granted you are working in a tight space; but I was able to do it and I am not a little guy, (not tall, just short and fat).

Here is a picture of the pig tail after I unplugged it.

Blower Resistor Block Location for 2002 Ford F150-blower-resistor-pigtail-fw.jpg

Here is a picture of the old and the new resistor. You can see how rusty and corroded they get over time.

Blower Resistor Block Location for 2002 Ford F150-old-new-resistor-fw.jpg

So all it is, is just two screws and a wiring harness. I guy on another site said a shop wanted $130 to do the repair. It took me about 30 minutes, about 10 was trying to figure out what size socket I needed. (I thought it was SAE at first.) The part was under $20 bucks at the local auto parts supply store.

I did one on a 1992 dodge caravan recently and that one was located under the hood on the firewall passenger side. That one took less than 10 minutes.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 01-10-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: typos
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #2

Yes, it not a matter of replacing the part, it is a matter of finding WHERE it is at!

And it kills my back trying to work under the dash. I think next time I will find some sort of platform to put my feet up on outside the door!

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I just had to do this today. I was also about to post too because I could not find any sites with pics detailing the location. Replacement part was about $20 including tax. I swapped it out in the parking lot (it is freaking cold today). The auto parts guy wanted to see where it was too....
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I ned help on trying to figure out what is wrong with my air in my truck. The blower does not come on at all when you turn it on. I know it is not the control cluster because I have taken it out and checked it on another truck. Does anyone have any advise on how I can get this problem resolved?
Judgment Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Judgement; finding the problem in your case will not be a simple task. If you are convinced that your control cluster is working fine, you will have to start tracing IF/HOW power leaves the control cluster and gets to the blower fan unit. Have you tested the blower fan unit? That may be the problem in itself.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #6

In the future, when starting a new discussion, click on "New Topic" on the upper left.

Are you getting power to the controller? If not check fuses.

Are you getting power to the blower motor? If not check the blower motor resistor pack and the wiring.

Use a multimeter and a wiring diagram which can be ordered from your dealer as part of the factory service manual set of books. These books would also have complete troubleshooting instructions for everything on the vehicle.

How to use a multimeter...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...imeter&aqi=g10
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgment Day View Post
I ned help on trying to figure out what is wrong with my air in my truck. The blower does not come on at all when you turn it on. I know it is not the control cluster because I have taken it out and checked it on another truck. Does anyone have any advise on how I can get this problem resolved?
Just tap or a good rap on the fan motor and i bet it will come on. Brush's getting wore down. I have to do this to mine . good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
Just tap or a good rap on the fan motor and i bet it will come on. Brush's getting wore down. I have to do this to mine . good luck
I agree, check the blower motor before trying to run down all the electrical.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #9

Del is right. The other common symptom is that if you hit a bump in the road the blower flutters on and off,then its likely the brushes. Hard to find replacements on many models. If you can pull the blower and the brushes are shot with a lot of patience you can sometimes build your own from larger brushes, but its only worth while if the commutator is not worn like an apple core or gapped between segments.
FYI, I have rebuilt and serviced hundreds of electric motors, I wouldn`t waste my time trying to refit non original brushes unless it was a collector car with no parts...then it is a labor of love. The OP was lucky to find a resistor block for his unit. Some manufacturers don`t acknowledge this part being available.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

I have a 2002 F150, blower speed does not change between speed 2 and 3. Have replaced resistor, no change. Any ideas?
marippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 520

Good luck. Hopefuly that resistor will last more than a month or so.....just did my van and replacement blew again....same terminal too!

Probably another wire that has chaffed, etc. BTW, most cars are not SAE/english, but metric.... even american cars.....
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marippe View Post
I have a 2002 F150, blower speed does not change between speed 2 and 3. Have replaced resistor, no change. Any ideas?
the switch

when a resistor burns out it almost always causes the fan to not run in the affected speed. If you have the fan running the same speed in multiple switch positions, I would suspect a defective switch first and second, multiple damaged wires that are shorting to each other. Unless you have some skilled squirrels around you or there was some other work done recently that might have resulted in a pinched/cut couple of wires, I would look to the switch.

this is all with the assumption this is not a fancy electronic system where you set the temp and the computer does the work to adjust what is needed to obtain that setting.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote