DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

B-12 Chemtool versus SeaFoam

51K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  timmay5309 
#1 ·
I think I've got some bad gas in my old Jeep (running like crap & smells like varnish). My approach has always been that, unless there's something obvious that needs to be replaced, I do what's easiest and cheapest first - then move on from there, if the problem isn't solved.

I decided to throw a can of SeaFoam in my gas tank & see if it helps.

When I got to O'Reilly's this B-12 Chemtool Cleaner was on sale for $2.99 per can - as opposed to $10.99 per can for the SeaFoam.

The parts people there say it's the same stuff as SeaFoam, but you're not paying for the name. It looks to me like the ingredients (those they warn you about) are the same.

I'm not looking for a debate about whether or not you should use SeaFoam, but am wondering if any of you have any experience with this Chemtool stuff.

Your thoughts?

See less See more
#6 ·
Seafoam does nor mainly consist of kerosene. I doubt kerosene is even in it at a small concentration at all.

Seafoam is mineral oil and naphtha, with about 10% isopropyl Alcohol. No kerosene.

It is overpriced elixir. Sorry to break the news, guys.

If you suspect water in gas, use dry gas (alcohol)

#7 · (Edited)
B 12 is 90% naphtha. And about 5-10% secret compound/deisel fuel additive, but I suspect (I suspect much regarding additives) its not any thing unusual. Could be some solvent of type. No alcohol. Not sure how knowing whats in it helps, though, Dr.

#8 ·
Just for general clarification.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment used in Crankcase Oil

All Gasoline and Diesel, Rotary style engines

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a Blended Petroleum Product, NOT A CHEMICAL and is widely used as an old oil residue reducer and moisture drier in any oil crankcase.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner / diagnostic tool, and moisture drier, and is also used as an after service additive. Sea Foam Motor Treatment does NOT add significantly to oil volume, so removing oil is NOT required for use, when used according to printed directions on the product container.

1. As a PRE SERVICE CLEANER for old oil residue, (sticky rings or valve train noise, diagnostics), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the
[COLOR=blue !important]engine oil[/COLOR] crankcase for EACH quart of crankcase oil capacity including filter. (Diesels use 1 pint Sea Foam to 4 gallons of oil, please.) Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 200 miles, (Diesels 1 hour drive/run time MINIMUM) and then do your oil change service (LOF). This is the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbo & Supercharged applications where hot oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, those residues NEED [COLOR=blue !important]CLEANING[/COLOR]. (LOF = Lube oil & Filter service = OIL CHANGE).

2. As an AFTER SERVICE ADDITIVE into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (by mileage), put 1 ½ ounces Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase per quart of capacity as described above, then SELF SET a program to MONITOR your oil for proper level, color and clarity on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. (LOF) When the oil gets dirty, CHANGE IT!

Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re liquefy old oil residue, This will usually make your oil need changing BEFORE your normal scheduled LOF service. Only your monitoring of the oil for color and clarity can tell when it is time to do LOF (oil change service), or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Synthetic oils, both blends and 100%, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants.

Check your oil; monitor its level, color & clarity to determine the need for an LOF service! Change your oil when it gets dirty!

Technical Services Department July 2008 DD

Sea Foam Uses in Fuels

Sea Foam Motor Treatment #’s SF-16 (16 ounce), SF-128 (gallon container) and

SF-55 (a 55 gallon drum) is registered with the EPA as a fuel additive for use in all Gasoline, all Ethanol [COLOR=blue !important]fuels[/COLOR], Gas/oil mixes & ALL Diesel fuels. Including all brands and qualities of available fuels.

When added to these fuels, Sea Foam Motor Treatment was specifically designed to Safely do five (5) simple, yet important, tasks for you, SIMPLY. They are:

1. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a 100% blended petroleum product. That means Sea Foam is OIL, so adding Sea Foam to ANY fuel, adds lubricity for Fuel systems, Induction systems (Including Drawn through Supercharged applications), upper cylinders, fuel pumps, and related fuel system & exhaust (Turbocharged) components. [COLOR=blue !important]Ethanol fuels[/COLOR] need LUBRICITY, Sea Foam supplies that Lubricity! All common available fuels lack “Protecting” lubrication.

Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

2. Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an engineered oil that dries fuel moisture. Moisture breaks down into its basic components of hydrogen and oxygen when Sea Foam Motor Treatment is added to any of the above listed fuels. This allows Sea Foam Motor Treatment to help eliminate problems caused by moisture, like
[COLOR=blue !important]diesel fuel[/COLOR] gelling and Ethanol “Phase Separation”. Ethanol absorbs moisture, Sea Foam dries it! Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an oil based high detergent fuel residue cleaner. Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your fuel system makes that old fuel residue safely back into liquid. Old fuel residues become a “non issue”, allowing contaminants to be filtered, as engineered by the system manufacturer.

Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Sea Foam Motor Treatments exclusive formula is blended specifically to clean carbon out of the engine as the engine is run. This is accomplished by our cleaning oil formula eliminating old sticky oil residue that holds carbon and allows that carbon dust to flow out of the engine dust particle by dust particle. Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

5. Sea Foam Motor Treatment adds volatility to fuel and slows down the rate at which that fuel looses its ability to properly burn. When added to fuel and the fuel is in properly sealed containers or fuel systems, per printed container instructions, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a fuel stabilizer for up to 2 years. Always run the engine for a long enough period of time to assure the entire system is protected. Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Technical Services Department

Sea Foam Sales Company
Updated July, 2008 DD

#10 ·
UK, Ol bud, not sure what the very long treatise on Seafoam Elixir (apparently from Seafoam Company ) serves here. yes, I believe what you wrote (pasted?) is from the Comp[any, but coompany propaganda does not impress some people. I skimmed it and see no hard evidence from an unbiased source as to its effectiveness.

#16 ·
Fair enough, Pol. But, I didnt expect/implore for a fellow member to apologize, you know. Honest misunderstanding is not a big deal. And in future, when I goof, please advise me , if appropriate.

have a good Thursday night........and see you again on the Forum!!!

#17 ·
I am curious if the B-12 can be used to SeaFoam a vehicle. What I am referring to is the vacuumn line trick where you pour half the can into the brake booster line to clean the intake out... SeaFoam has brought carbs on small engines back from the dead for me. I was given a riding mower that was neglected. The oil had not been changed in along time, and adding SeaFoam to the crankcase drained the oil looking like tar, but the motor has been running strong now for the last several years. You can catch it onsale for $7 a can, then I will usually pick up 3 or 4 then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.