Auto Body Repair - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Home Improvment Contactor

Rewards Points: 25

Auto body repair

My son and I are attempting to refinish his car. We currently are working on the prime coat. I've looked on a few web sites for the proper way the go about this. What we've done so far on the front half is, sand down any chips, scratches, and rust until feathered and smooth. We used a 150 grit paper for this. We then went over everything with a wet 320 grit to degloss. We cleaned everything with acetone and tack cloth. We sprayed over it with Duplicolor sandable primer. We put 3 light coats on.
Now, the way I understand, we are supposed to wet sand that with a 400 grit? I tried, but it left scratches. Mind you that we are doing all this by hand.
All we want to do is get the primer on and sanded down so we can have a professional touch-up and paint it.
Do I, just keep at it (scratches and all), buy an orbital sander, change grits, or just get the primer on and leave it to the pros? Any info and opinions please!

Advertisement

Jack of most is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Auto body repair

Wet sand with 2000 grit, not 400.

Any rust should at minimum be treated with acid to seal it up prior to etching primer - primer sealer - paint. If you want it to last, you must cut out the rusted steel and replace it.

Advertisement

Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #3
Home Improvment Contactor

Auto body repair

2000 grit!!!! WOW, OK. I used navel jelly first on the rust then sanded and primed. It was just a little surface rust. So, your saying I will also have to spray on a sealer? Then would I have to sand that?
Jack of most is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #4

Auto body repair

400 grit paper shoud be sufficient before color coating. Make sure you are
using wet or dry paper, and dont apply too much pressure. You want the
surface to be rough enough for good paint adhesion, I would save the 2000 grit paper for wet color sanding any imperfections and buffing after
refinishing. Just be sure to take your time. Any good body man will tell you a quailty paint job is 99% prep work..
frazierdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote