DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Automotive Repairs (http://www.diychatroom.com/f46/)
-   -   Attaching floor boards for trailer... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f46/attaching-floor-boards-trailer-172010/)

MisterSteve 02-15-2013 02:03 PM

Attaching floor boards for trailer...
 
I was given a flat bed trailer constructed of square tubing. It was some type of kayak trailer and never had a floor on it. I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to attach 2 x ? floor boards. I'll get a pic posted up soon. Thanks.

MisterSteve 02-15-2013 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trailer

SeniorSitizen 02-15-2013 02:51 PM

Find a stock trailer to look at and see how they are done. That would be easier than me trying to explain it and MUCH easier for you to understand than me attempting to explain. Don't be surprised if you see the floor boards floating rather than fastened.

Bondo 02-15-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSteve (Post 1117742)
I was given a flat bed trailer constructed of square tubing. It was some type of kayak trailer and never had a floor on it. I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to attach 2 x ? floor boards. I'll get a pic posted up soon. Thanks.

Ayuh,.... What have ya got to work with,..??

Ya could weld brackets onto the bottoms of the tubin', 'n screw yer 2xs into the holes, 'tween the tubin'...
Or,...
You could just screw the 2xs right on top of the framin' there now....

Without some cuttin' grindin', 'n weldin', the 2nd option is probably yer Only choice...

jomama45 02-15-2013 03:00 PM

Our equipment trailer has screws similar to these http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1220...d-Square-Drive that hold down 2" hardwood boards without any issues.................

teamo 02-15-2013 03:05 PM

Why do you want to use 2x's for the floor? Just use 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood. I have a similar trailer that folds up (4x8 ft). It had holes in the frame to bolt the plywood down. Drill holes through the frame if it doesn't already have them and use either stainless or galvanized stove bolts to fasten down the plywood.

MisterSteve 02-15-2013 03:36 PM

I was thinking self tapping screws or carriage bolts but wasnt sure if drilling holes through the tubing with carriage bolts would compromise the strength at all or if the screws would really hold it all down well enough. The trailer is 5 1/2 x 9 so the ply wood sheets would almost cost as much as 2x's and same thing with the deck boards.

MisterSteve 02-15-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomama45 (Post 1117764)
Our equipment trailer has screws similar to these http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/1220...d-Square-Drive that hold down 2" hardwood boards without any issues.................

Jomama, about how many screws are used on the boards? Two every cross member??

drtbk4ever 02-15-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterSteve (Post 1117778)
but wasnt sure if drilling holes through the tubing with carriage bolts would compromise the strength at all

That would be a concern for me as well.

joecaption 02-15-2013 05:33 PM

Ever once seen a factory build equipment trailer with a plywood floor, not likly.
Want it to last then use pressure treated decking boards. Through bolting with carrage bolts will work best.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.