Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #1

Share |

Anti-Freeze

Does anti-freeze (in a bottle/jug) last indefinitely? I found 3 partial gallons of it in the basement today and wonder if they can still be used or not.

One or two of them may be over 5 years old.

Thanks!

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #2

Anti-Freeze

Not really sure. I have a few cases of oil in my garage that are over 20 years old. I have been using them with no problem. I can not even give it away to my friends. Everyone says the same thing, it is just not worth the chance. As for your antifreeze, what i will tell you is to have your anti frezze completely flushed and replaced with a good brand. I would rather not start any sort of debate by mentioning the word dexicool. However I will say some formulas in the past have had problems and have now been reformulated. I would properly recycle that antifreeze. I do not think it would cause you any problem but I would just go buy a good brand, it is not worth the chance

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintdrying For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Anti-Freeze

Not really. The more modern stuff. like GM's Dex Cool will have a longer lifespan, than older styles of Glycol. Most modern glycol's are made of a Sugar base, whether it is Corn, or some type of natural sugar, unlike the older green stuff. The joke always was, when we would de-ice planes, that if you swallowed some, you can take a good swig of Vodka, and be fine.

Keep in mind, that Polypropylene glycol is used for Constipation, and as a food additive, and medicine additive, whether it is in a powdered or liquid form. But on the other hand, Ethylene glycol is dangerous, due to it not only attacks the central nervous system, but also causes renal failure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #4

Anti-Freeze

Thanks guys. I'll take it to the recycling station.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #5

Anti-Freeze

I know this is already answered but just add two comments, the additives in the older antifreeze/coolant may not be necessarily compatible with your current cooling system. As an example, some newer cars recommend to use phosphate antifreeze. Lastly, the fluid is also used to lubricate the water pump, old fluid may lack the necessary additives (from age) to properly keep the pump going long term.
johnniebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnniebravo For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Anti-Freeze

Thanks jonniebravo.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #7

Anti-Freeze

There is a cheap tester you can buy to determine if it is still good. It probably is.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=525881_0_0_

I use one to determine when my cars really need a coolant flush.
7wUPEYpAVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Anti-Freeze

We would actually cheat, and use the Recractometer that we used for de-icing fluid freeze levels at the Regional air carrier that I worked for one time, to check the proper levels of our car's & equipment anti-freeze. http://www.amazon.com/RHA-100ATC-Eth...+glycol+tester
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
STAFF

Anti-Freeze

Might want to check the label when buying antifreeze, here the 50/50 costs $10.95 and the straight antifreeze costs $12.95, that means you are paying $4.47 for a half gallon of water if you buy the 50/50 mix. Just a thought.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Anti-Freeze

Jim your math is off. You would be paying $2.95 more for non-diluted anti-freeze, over the 50/50 The reason for the 50/50, is because people were it takes out having people possibly contaminate the Anti-Freeze with bad water, or end up pouring straight solution into the radiator.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Anti-Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Jim your math is off. You would be paying $2.95 more for non-diluted anti-freeze, over the 50/50 The reason for the 50/50, is because people were it takes out having people possibly contaminate the Anti-Freeze with bad water, or end up pouring straight solution into the radiator.
Ayuh,... Jim's math is Right, as is yer's, just different angles...

I disagree with yer assumptions on the Why's of sellin' diluted antifreeze...

If it were for Convenience, it would be better stated on the label,...
rather than hidin' it in the same jug, with nearly the same label, 'n only a tiny statement that it's diluted...

I see it as a marketin' ploy to sell Water, at antifreeze prices....

'n as for the main topic,... No, antifreeze does Not go Bad, sittin' in it's jug on a shelf,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Anti-Freeze

Actually it will Bondo. There is a reason why airlines have to test the De-Icing solution daily, and when delivered, or before Winter de-icing season starts. Any solution when left sitting, will separate and go bad, so that is why you should never keep on hand anything that you cannot use within a certain period of time.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Anti-Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually it will Bondo. There is a reason why airlines have to test the De-Icing solution daily, and when delivered, or before Winter de-icing season starts. Any solution when left sitting, will separate and go bad, so that is why you should never keep on hand anything that you cannot use within a certain period of time.
Ayuh,... Not doubtin' yer word Greg,...

Sealed in the jug is alittle hard to believe goes Bad,...

'n I've seen it in a ole junk car radiators, 20 years old, 'n it still don't freeze...

Just to be clear, I'm talkin' the good ole green fluid I've been dumpin' into radiators since the 60s...

I know it changes with use, 'n the additives either need to be renewed, or the antifreeze replaced in time, Especially in Diesels...
I've got the Test kit for 'em, 'n manage a small fleet of dumptrucks, 'n equipment...
I do a dump, 'n fill on the fleet every few years,...
'ell,... The dumped fluid, I use as a wood preservative to kill wood rot...

As to Barb's original post question,...
I wouldn't hesitate for an Instant, 'n I'd use those jugs found in the garage...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #14

Anti-Freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post

As to Barb's original post question,...
I wouldn't hesitate for an Instant, 'n I'd use those jugs found in the garage...
I would agree. My new 2000 GM went for trade in 07 with the same antifreeze in it when I drove off the the lot in 99. Almost 350k on it and the last winter I had it saw 15 to 20 below. It was still clean.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #15

Anti-Freeze

Oh Crap, I hope i am not getting sucked into another anti freeze debate. Extended life anti freeze is fine, just change it every other year. Never mix ant freeze types. There is more to an anti freeze than if it freezes or not. Just ask Cadillac. The chemistry behind anti freeze has changed a lot in five years. Best thing to do is EVERY year change your anti freeze and thermo stat. Completely flushing it. And that 50/50 is a rip off.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote