Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

ambient air temp in 97 silhouette

Have a 97 Olds Silhouette that I just changed the battery a few months ago which caused the ambient temp sensor not to work on the display on the above panel.

It reads OC. I tried everything I knew to try. Changed sensor by grille. Unplugged it for a few days,,,nothing helped. Even took it to dealer with no help.

ANY suggestions on getting this to work??? It is not good to let it not work as something I read says it can adversely affect you mileage

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #2

ambient air temp in 97 silhouette

In my experience, when it reads 'OC' it is telling you that the two wire circuit to the exterior temp sensor is 'open circuit' (infinite resistance). Either one -or both- of the wires is open somewhere between the display head and the temp sensor, or the sensor itself is open. Or, less common, a solder joint opened up on the circuit board in the display.

And no, it will not affect your mileage. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor will, as will the Intake Air Temperature sensor, but not the ambient temp sensor.

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote