Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #1

Share |

Adhesive for rubber to metal

My Toro mower has two rubber pads on which the carriage pins for the front of the deck rest, and after 15+ years of service, they are worn to the point that I am going to replace them. The pads are something like 1-1/2" x 3" x 1/4" thick rubber, with no place to bolt them, and obviosly subjected to a fair amount of viration. My thoughts are to check with my local parts store, to see what they have, perhaps a 3M or Loctite product, but wondered if anyone might have other thoughts or suggestions.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
fabrk8r

3-M Trim and Emblem adhesive should work. Available at auto parts stores or auto-body supply stores. It's very similar to the contact cement we use to adhere rubber armaflex insulation to metal duct which has to withstand both vibration and high velocity air.

Apply the adhesive to both the rubber and the metal and allow to tack before putting the pads in place.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #3

Thank you very much, Sir; that sounds exactly in line with what I was thinking, but wasn't sure of the specific product. My auto parts store handles body shop supplies as well, so it sounds like something that they should have on the shelf. Now, do you happen to know where I set that doggone piece of rubber that I was going to use for this?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
fabrk8r

If you're lucky like me it will be in the last place you look for it.

Don't forget to clean both the metal and the pads with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits before applying the adhesive!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Thank you very much, Sir; that sounds exactly in line with what I was thinking, but wasn't sure of the specific product. My auto parts store handles body shop supplies as well, so it sounds like something that they should have on the shelf. Now, do you happen to know where I set that doggone piece of rubber that I was going to use for this?
You'll find that when you come home after buying another piece.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Yes, had planned to clean it properly first, but thank you for the reminder. I was debating about stopping by TSC or the hardware store this afternoon, to buy a piece of rubber, but know that if I do, I will walk in the barn and be looking right at it.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Getting There

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
You'll find that when you come home after buying another piece.
AAAArrrrggggg

That happens to me all the time, I just loose it

Frank

MecGen is offline   Reply With Quote