Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

Adding Coolant

I have a quick question about adding some coolant to my Subaru Legacy 2001 sedan. I noticed it was a little low and wanted to add some before it gets much colder. I read online that there are two different kinds and I need use the right one or it will mess up your radiator? Also I think I need to mix the coolant with water before I add it right? Do they sell a premixed formula you can just pour right in? The car is old so it might have a leak, but I can't find anything on the ground and want to fill it up and see if it keeps dropping. Thanks in advance for any help.

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #2

Adding Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm
I have a quick question about adding some coolant to my Subaru Legacy 2001 sedan. I noticed it was a little low and wanted to add some before it gets much colder. I read online that there are two different kinds and I need use the right one or it will mess up your radiator? Also I think I need to mix the coolant with water before I add it right? Do they sell a premixed formula you can just pour right in? The car is old so it might have a leak, but I can't find anything on the ground and want to fill it up and see if it keeps dropping. Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes you can find a premix at your local parts store. And they have now a universal coolant that can be added to both kinds of coolant. Just top it off and go.

A5viper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Adding Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm
Dealer recomended brand. I never recomend stuff from the dealer. Coolants can react and gell in engines if they are not compatible. Coolant is the only thing i recomend from stealers i mean dealers. 50/50 mix. Pure anti freeze can gel. Chemical reaction happens when combined with water that keeps it from gelling.
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote