Ac Compressor Clutch Hub Falls Of Onto Street - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 532

ac compressor clutch hub falls of onto street

Guys,

lost my hub (also known as plate?). Figured I can get one at junk yard. Honda civic ex 2001, Sanden scroll. I dont have a shop manual, so anybody know if I need special tools to yank a hub off at a yard? Juts a ratchet socket?

Thnaks!

Advertisement

Last edited by noquacks; 11-21-2011 at 08:16 PM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 544

just a socket wrench and just a socket of the right size will do the job - IF YOU HAVE A TOOL TO LOCK PULEY FROM SPINNING. sometimes belt does the job for you. sometimes it's center bolt, sometimes it's 3 bolts.
and you have my word, there will be NO clearance to get to it easy.
mof, I am not sure what actually fell off. was it outside clutch plate, or pulley? or both?
and be prepared for locking spring inside too.

Advertisement

ukrkoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #4

Thnaks, UK. Yes, it is not the pulley but just the plate. (maybe I was wrong in calling it the hub). The pulley of course has to still be on for the car to still run well. Serpentine belt intact. Its just that exterior "face" plate. I understand you dont hold down the pulley to unscrew that center nut, but you hold down the plate "rivets" , sometiimes even a screwdriver will work (I read at one reference). makes sense, UK?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #5

in further clarifying, if you look at the comp from the side of the driv side wheel, you can see the center stud without the nut on the threads!! Also, you can see the clutch/pulley(?) face surfaces. Thats when I was shocked to find out I lost the plate......
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #6

outside plate that fell off is friction clutch plate. when coil is activated, it works as a magnet, pulls pulley towards it, then it locks pulley, pulley engages a/c compressor. rivets you seeing are part of dampening mechanism, just like you have in clutch plate.
brother, it seriously depends on how easy it is to access. several Civics we had, there's no clearance for anything. finger width between tirewell and any given pulley. unless this one can be accessed from the bottom, with wheel and fender cover removed.
impact wrench does those very well, if you can get it on. otherwise, you do have to jam a/c shaft to release shaft nut. friction outer plate is sitting on the compressor shaft, attached to it. pulley spins freely on the axle, unless magnetized.

1. Compressor Clutch Basics

• A belt drive attached to the engine spins constantly, providing energy for the AC compressor. The belt turns a rotor, which has a friction plate attached to it. Near the rotor is an electromagnet--a coil of wire which produces a magnetic field when current is run through it. Across from the friction plate is another friction plate attached to the rotor that powers the airconditioner.

Function

• When the electromagnet turns on, it produces a powerful magnetic field through the rotor. Since the fan belt rotor and the air conditioner rotor are both made out of iron, the magnetic field magnetizes both of them, pulling them towards each other. This causes the friction plates to push tightly in to each other. Initially, the rotor friction plate is turning and the compressor friction plate is not. Once they are touching, however, friction between the two plates makes the air conditioner rotor spin. When the electromagnet is turned off, the friction plates spring apart and the compressor stops moving.

they call pulley rotor in this case. same principle. beware, that you might be dealing with a left hand thread on the shaft either. I'd say, a pry-bar jammed against hub "rivet" and floor/ground, to lock it in place, should do.
impact wrench would have been ideal. bang!!
why exactly did the nut fall off? make sure you know the cause, before you waste time at junk yard, just to find that compressor shaft it busted and you need to replace entire piece.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
outside plate that fell off is friction clutch plate. when coil is activated, it works as a magnet, pulls pulley towards it, then it locks pulley, pulley engages a/c compressor. rivets you seeing are part of dampening mechanism, just like you have in clutch plate.
brother, it seriously depends on how easy it is to access. several Civics we had, there's no clearance for anything. finger width between tirewell and any given pulley. unless this one can be accessed from the bottom, with wheel and fender cover removed.
impact wrench does those very well, if you can get it on. otherwise, you do have to jam a/c shaft to release shaft nut. friction outer plate is sitting on the compressor shaft, attached to it. pulley spins freely on the axle, unless magnetized.

1. Compressor Clutch Basics
    • A belt drive attached to the engine spins constantly, providing energy for the AC compressor. The belt turns a rotor, which has a friction plate attached to it. Near the rotor is an electromagnet--a coil of wire which produces a magnetic field when current is run through it. Across from the friction plate is another friction plate attached to the rotor that powers the airconditioner.
    Function

• When the electromagnet turns on, it produces a powerful magnetic field through the rotor. Since the fan belt rotor and the air conditioner rotor are both made out of iron, the magnetic field magnetizes both of them, pulling them towards each other. This causes the friction plates to push tightly in to each other. Initially, the rotor friction plate is turning and the compressor friction plate is not. Once they are touching, however, friction between the two plates makes the air conditioner rotor spin. When the electromagnet is turned off, the friction plates spring apart and the compressor stops moving.

they call pulley rotor in this case. same principle. beware, that you might be dealing with a left hand thread on the shaft either. I'd say, a pry-bar jammed against hub "rivet" and floor/ground, to lock it in place, should do.
impact wrench would have been ideal. bang!!
why exactly did the nut fall off? make sure you know the cause, before you waste time at junk yard, just to find that compressor shaft it busted and you need to replace entire piece.
Wow, UK, thanks for the education. Its so cool to understand how these things work!

Just one thing, while were at it- since the rotor friction plate, (the piece spinning, always attached to the serpentine belt) spins constantly WITH the belt, does that piece move TOWARD the outer compressor shaft plate, or vise versa? Cuz, Im thinking its the outer plate that moves toward the rotor piece, otherwise, that would mean the inner rotor piece would have to shift away from the PLANE of the serpentine belt, right? But maybe so, since were talking maybe 0.020 ", right?

I will check as you said, the threads of the comp shaft threaded stud for stripping, etc. Still, might take the chance at the yard and go from there- most they could charge me for that piece would be 10-20$.

Thanks, UK!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #8

When the electromagnet turns on, it produces a powerful magnetic field through the rotor. Since the fan belt rotor and the air conditioner rotor are both made out of iron, the magnetic field magnetizes both of them, pulling them towards each other. This causes the friction plates to push tightly in to each other. Initially, the rotor friction plate is turning and the compressor friction plate is not. Once they are touching, however, friction between the two plates makes the air conditioner rotor spin.

pulley moves just a bit towards clutch out plate. clearance is minute to affect belt. I bet all of us had a car that produced gentle metal on metal noise, with a/c clutch disengaged. That's how close they are.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #9

Thanks, UK.

Probably go to yard tomorrow........
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #10

you welcome, bud. have fun. 2 feet cheat pipe always comes handy. or cordless impact wrench.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #11

Well, UK, (sad, holding leaning on left hand, left elbow on desk), back from the yard, and kinda figured that a 2001 civic is too "new" to be in a yard. No junk car, no compressor, no clutch end plate.

Now, only way is to maybe find an entire complete comp at a yard like car-part.com or something. Even thoughI only need the dump plate. Even comp parts places that sell parts will sell the entire clutch assbly (and theyre not cheap), so might as well buy a used one for say, $50-60.

Alternatives appreciated. Oh, I can wait for this as hey, its almost "winter" in florida.....LOL
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #12

how in the world is pulley staying in place though?
yeah, a/c comps ain't cheap. I think, you need to buy a/c clutch kit though, not entire ass-y. they do sell those. I had to deal with this when clutch bearing went bad on our Mitsu Expo LRV. everyone wanted to sell me $400 comp. I disassembled clutch, yanked that bearing out, and local guys at one of the Hermitage, TN, parts stores matched the bearing. $6 fix. hammered it back in and that was it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
noquacks (11-24-2011)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #13

Hmmmm, good tip, UK. WHow is my pulley staying in place? I remember studying how to remove pulley/clutch, and theres suposed to be a snap ring holding it in, right? Isnt the pulley pressed on? Shouldnt that force and snap ring keep it on? Heres a picture:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/noquacks/?action=viewĄt=000_0074-1.jpg

Last edited by noquacks; 11-24-2011 at 07:23 AM.
noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

see post #8 in below link to honda forum:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=144315

it says to first remove nut, then snap ring, then use a puller to remove pulley (inner clutch?)
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
see post #8 in below link to honda forum:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=144315

it says to first remove nut, then snap ring, then use a puller to remove pulley (inner clutch?)

That is correct, small bolt holds outer friction plate on, clip then holds on pulley which after clip removal may or may not need forced off (you will have to wait and see) then another clip holds coil assembly onto compressor.

You cant just buy a used outer friction plate and replace the missing bolt, just to see if it engages and runs ok?

note; small shims go under the friction plate to make correct gap for clutch/plate clearance

Advertisement

D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-rock For This Useful Post:
noquacks (11-24-2011)