Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Share |
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Ok thanks for all the info, I will research replacing the injectors before I start. I will take pix so if I forget where something goes. It is just a matter of starting the process.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Update, done nothing so far. But now it is running so smoothe, can't tell it is running idling at a red light. Check eng light has not came back on yet. So I don't know.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cleveland ohio
Posts: 445
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Dude, do not get into that spider system. On an astro it is able to be done but is very tight. You should take it in for a fuel injection cleaning, you have a poppet stuck. If the dealer did not use ac delco parts than pull all those off. Also replace the wires. I can not stress enough that you need to use ac delco parts on that van.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 356
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


I had one of them in our shop awhile back for a misfire that would come and go (P0307 - Cyl 7 Misfire). The owner had it another shop and they replaced a ton of parts. All that was left was the injector spider. I have worked on so many Chevy 4.3/5.0/5.7's that I have boxes of spare parts. I threw on a distributor cap that I knew was good and that took care of the intermittent misfire. It had been replaced already. And it was an ACDelco part. Those caps were a terrible design to begin with (they cross conductor paths in the cap so that the wires come neatly off each side). Maybe a defect in the cap, maybe the guy who put it in dropped it, maybe the box got dropped during shipping, etc, it doesn't take much.

In my experience once the spider poppets plug up they don't usually come back on their own. I've had 50/50 luck using a high pressure injector cleaning tool. But replacing the spider assembly isn't very difficult. I'd use the new design if at all possible...much better design (no poppets).

I had a 99 Astro AWD for 2 years. It was awesome in the snow, I'll say that. And I'm not a Chevy guy. But finally sold it off as the gas mileage was rotten and the wife wanted a sliding door on both sides (we had just had twins).
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marqed97 For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I had one of them in our shop awhile back for a misfire that would come and go (P0307 - Cyl 7 Misfire). The owner had it another shop and they replaced a ton of parts. All that was left was the injector spider. I have worked on so many Chevy 4.3/5.0/5.7's that I have boxes of spare parts. I threw on a distributor cap that I knew was good and that took care of the intermittent misfire. It had been replaced already. And it was an ACDelco part. Those caps were a terrible design to begin with (they cross conductor paths in the cap so that the wires come neatly off each side). Maybe a defect in the cap, maybe the guy who put it in dropped it, maybe the box got dropped during shipping, etc, it doesn't take much.

In my experience once the spider poppets plug up they don't usually come back on their own. I've had 50/50 luck using a high pressure injector cleaning tool. But replacing the spider assembly isn't very difficult. I'd use the new design if at all possible...much better design (no poppets).

I had a 99 Astro AWD for 2 years. It was awesome in the snow, I'll say that. And I'm not a Chevy guy. But finally sold it off as the gas mileage was rotten and the wife wanted a sliding door on both sides (we had just had twins).

Have not had the P0301 code or any code since my last post. I agree with you that a plugged injector is not going clear up and the reappear. I also have read several articles on the after market caps. Still runs rough at idle thou. Who sells Delco caps?
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cleveland ohio
Posts: 445
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Rock auto is my favorite for parts. Those 4.3 can run rough on idle. Might be your egr valve. Or that air control valve is dirty. I do not even worry about miss fires anymore. Astros run bad longer than most cars run
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Thumbs down

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Rock auto is my favorite for parts. Those 4.3 can run rough on idle. Might be your egr valve. Or that air control valve is dirty. I do not even worry about miss fires anymore. Astros run bad longer than most cars run
Yeah I looked at Rockauto, buy a lot from them. Even with the shiping, $20.00 less then local patrs store. I will order cap and. rotor and go from there. EGR tested good! When you say air control valve meaning Mass air flow it was replaced. It has been in the shop a few times and they replaced a bunch of stuff. I gave up on them, "just bring it back" got old!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 251
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Air idle control valve. You can clean this w/ throttle body cleaner.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Up date:
I have not done anything because of cold weather. I let the gas run down to less then an 1/8 of a tank and filled the tank. On the way home from the gas station the check engine light came on. I drove it a short distance and back home check eng light still on. Next day I started it and the check eng light was off. I am driving it; still rough idle at the stop light. I did not check to see what code is stored as of yet. I will get around to changing cap and rotor with OEM Delco. 15 degrees at the moment, I will post when I do something. I thought I would just update!
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cleveland ohio
Posts: 445
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Never below a quarter of a tank of gas, you will burn that pump up fast. I tested this theory on an astro I had and burned the pump up in less than a week.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Never below a quarter of a tank of gas, you will burn that pump up fast. I tested this theory on an astro I had and burned the pump up in less than a week.
I don't doubt what you say, I used to run close to out of gas all the time. The OEM pump lasted 13 years 120,000 miles. Just saying
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Update:
I never got around to doing anything.
The check eng light reset and has not came back on. So I don't know what it can be. I will update if it changes.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Never did do anything other then basic maintenance and the check engine light has not came back on. Still idles rough stopped at the light. The dealers never figured out the rough idle they would test drive it with me and tell me they donít notice it. Needless to say the dealers is no longer in business. So just updating.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


ALL Chevy 6's and 8's really love a good ignition. If there's something wrong with your distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs etc., it could very well cause the trouble you are having. Having read your whole thread, I would lean toward an electrical problem, all of which is easy to fix.

Have you pulled the valve covers to see if any of the rocker arms are slightly loose? Occasionally a cam lobe will start to go flat and cause trouble, but not any too often.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Default

99 Chevy Astro Misfire runs rough code P0301


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
ALL Chevy 6's and 8's really love a good ignition. If there's something wrong with your distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs etc., it could very well cause the trouble you are having. Having read your whole thread, I would lean toward an electrical problem, all of which is easy to fix.

Have you pulled the valve covers to see if any of the rocker arms are slightly loose? Occasionally a cam lobe will start to go flat and cause trouble, but not any too often.
distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs etc, all new.
No have not checked the rocker arms.
In the past a lose rocker would chatter. I put a vacume gauge on it and no flutter.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Closet Lights Sav505 Electrical 52 12-28-2012 07:24 AM
99 Chevy Astro Van Hardway Automotive Repairs 17 02-04-2012 02:20 AM
Code for low voltage runs through PVC in attic camel Electrical 1 07-09-2011 03:38 PM
Bryant Plus 80 Code 33 fan runs all time! ideas? westomaha HVAC 1 12-25-2008 11:09 AM
Since my mower ran out of gas....runs rough checkin2 Landscaping & Lawn Care 3 07-24-2008 12:46 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.