Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

'93 Ranger Won't Start

I'll try to keep this brief.

Have a '93 Ford Ranger, V6 4.0.

It ran last year. Parked it, and didn't run it all winter. I did put fuel stabilizer in before the winter, and put the battery on a trickle charger.

Went out to start it this spring - no dice. Crank crank crank, but not even a single sputter or catch. About 1/2 the time, after cranking the starter, the engine will make a slight backfire sound (not a loud one, just a puff of air).

Replaced plugs and wires (which I needed to do anyway), as well as PCV.

Plugs were OK, reeked of gas.

Still no dice on starting. Checked schrader valve at fuel rail - got squirted in the face with gas. So I guess I have fuel pressure. Pulled the air cleaner off, no change.

Went to test spark - pulled out one of the plugs, grounded it to the block, had the gf crank the starter. I saw spark... adn the engine caught for about 2 seconds! First time since the spring. Put the plug back, no catch. Pulled just the wire - nothing. Pulled the plug out, but didn't connect it to the wire - just left an open hole - sputter!!

So... what is leaving one combustion chamber open doing that makes the engine run for a few seconds? Exhaust plugged up? Timing?

Electronic / coil ignition by the way, not a distributor.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

'93 Ranger Won't Start

Flooded plugs. Get them out and take butane torch to the electrodes, burn them white.
Then it should catch. JUst don't race engine, let it all work itself out naturally. Oil will need some time to get through.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (06-27-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

'93 Ranger Won't Start

Spraying starter fluid (well, carb cleaner) into the air intake got the thing started (yes, it's just been sitting doing nothing for several, several months when that was the "fix"). It did stay running after that -- someone had suggested to me that if starter fluid worked, the problem was likely the fuel pump, but... if the fuel pump was gone it wouldn't have kept running, right?

Anyway, going to run some heavy duty injector cleaners through there and see if that helps. Of course, in the course of sitting it also developed a pretty nasty exhaust leak (what do you mean sitting for a long time isn't good for cars???!), but... oh well.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

'93 Ranger Won't Start

Yep, if she runs, fuel is getting there.
Nope, cars don't like sitting do nothing. Corrosion likes it a lot.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

'93 Ranger Won't Start

If one of the door handles breaks, or a window will not go back up you can be assured this is all normal Ford behavior and nothing to worry about.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote