Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 AM   #1

Share |
Question

3000gt need help!

Bought a 1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt SL, starts up good but has a problem i noticed already. Id like to address these before i get it inspected.

PROBLEMS
1.)Idling problem, turn car on and its fine for 5 minutes or so, then starts to jump from low to high idle. 700RPM-1400RPM and does not stop till i turn off the car.

2.)Engine light is on, believe its caused from this^

3.)Maybe 2nd gear synchro? gear catches from first to second no problem just catches late, never slips.

dat3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

3000gt need help!

[QUOTE=dat3000gt;1261281]Bought a 1996 Mitsubishi 3000gt SL, starts up good but has a problem i noticed already. Id like to address these before i get it inspected.

PROBLEMS
1.)Idling problem, turn car on and its fine for 5 minutes or so, then starts to jump from low to high idle. 700RPM-1400RPM and does not stop till i turn off the car.

You realize it has OBD2 port and you can scan her at any parts store? Why don't you start there? Also, I almost guarantee you, as we had several Mitsu-s, that you have blow by oil leak into the combustion chambers. It might as well cause this. CHECK SPARK PLUGS!!! If they are fouled with oil, you got it. If that's the case, post here and I'll tell you what to do. Also, spray soapy water onto plug wires somewhere in the dark. I bet they leak onto engine, causing surges like this.

2.)Engine light is on, believe its caused from this^

No. READ ERROR CODES!!

3.)Maybe 2nd gear synchro? gear catches from first to second no problem just catches late, never slips.

Gear shifter cables are adjustable on those transmissions. Buy manual and adjust as needed. Also, they are notorious about air leaking into slave cylinder. Bleed slave. Also, check for fluid leak from master, it shows on the firewall inside, right below the clutch pedal connection to master. Report back. On son's Eclipse, I had master replaced 3 times in one year.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

3000gt need help!

Forgot to mention.
Remove and clean EGR valve. They get dirty very fast on Mitu-s and will cause erratic idle. Been there. Carb cleaner will work fine.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

3000gt need help!

I had the same idling issues on a 91 3000gt. It was as simple as a tune up and replacing the fuel filter. Mine was a combo of both bad idles and puttering when I stepped on the gas hard. The synchro issues are common in these cars and your best bet is taking her into a tranny shop. 3sx is a good place. Don't take her to any old shop as they won't know how to properly address the tranny issues. Good luck.
helljorge878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3000gt, car, mitsubishi, repairs