Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
STAFF

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

2005 KIA Timing belts

I am in the process of changing out the timing belts on our daughter's 2005 KIA Optima 2.4L LX. There are several teeth missing and I hope the valves haven't hit the pistons yet. I am finding a wide price range with the belt kits, they range from $115-$278 with water pump. Has anyone ever used or heard of http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-99-05-H...item3cbdc1d60f

I don't want to get a low quality part or to get shafted. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a decent price and product other than paying a war pension of the parts?

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

2005 KIA Timing belts

those are brand name aftermarket parts, that being said there is no substitute for oem parts. Is the kia nice? How long are you going to keep it? Considered all of those factors, but those parts should be better than whats on the car. I have bought a similar kit on ebay for my wife's Acura and it lasted years and 80,000 miles. I would price it at the dealer and if it is a lot more i would just get the ebay kit.

mcfarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
STAFF

2005 KIA Timing belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
those are brand name aftermarket parts, that being said there is no substitute for oem parts. Is the kia nice? How long are you going to keep it? Considered all of those factors, but those parts should be better than whats on the car. I have bought a similar kit on ebay for my wife's Acura and it lasted years and 80,000 miles. I would price it at the dealer and if it is a lot more i would just get the ebay kit.
Thanks Mac, it is a whole lot more at the dealer almost $200 more. It is our daughter's car and she plans to keep it until the wheels fall off it. I just hope the valves didn't slap the pistons, I just don't feel like a rebuild.

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

2005 KIA Timing belts

Boy, that seems awefully cheap. I don't know that I'd gamble on off brand parts on a timing belt, seeing as how if it snaps, the engine is a goner. I've never heard of Mizumo Auto.

You probably haven't had a valve-piston collision, it takes more than a rib or two to do that. When they snap, however, its game over.

And curse you for reminding me that I need to do this again to my wife's 05 Sonata, which is the same car. I did it at 60K, and now its at 120K.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

2005 KIA Timing belts

egay is very cheap, if you look closely it just lists a couple different brands that could be in the box. Good luck on the sonata, right now i am loving my pos nissan and its timing chain
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
STAFF

2005 KIA Timing belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarton View Post
egay is very cheap, if you look closely it just lists a couple different brands that could be in the box. Good luck on the sonata, right now i am loving my pos nissan and its timing chain
I agree, we should go with the better parts, I sure don't want to rebuild the engine.

As for your Nissan, I just got through putting an intake gasket on my wife's 2000 Altima, man talk about fun, I could have put the intake gasket on one of the old muscle cars literally 30 times as fast. These new cars are a pain in the kester.

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

2005 KIA Timing belts

does she have the 2.5 in the altima, if so i feel your pain
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
World's Tallest Midget

2005 KIA Timing belts

Don't get me started on Nissan Altimas. Whoever placed the starter on my wife's friend's 94 needs to be either sued or shot. Either would be okay with me. It took me 4 hours the first time, I got it down to about 1.5-2 the second time.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
STAFF

2005 KIA Timing belts

Mac, it is a 2.4L, I have a lot of things to do on it yet, there is a antifreeze leak I can't find where it is coming from and a wheel bearing, and CV joint to replace also the bearing in the alternator.

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
Jack of all - master none

2005 KIA Timing belts

The 2.4L Sirius II engine is actually a Mitsubishi-designed engine. You might have some luck doing a quick search for antifreeze leaks with Mitsubishis as well.

[Edit: There was also a 2.4L Hyundai engine (Theta II) used starting in 2005, but it had a timing chain, so that's not what you're dealing with].

Last edited by hyunelan2; 05-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
STAFF

2005 KIA Timing belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
The 2.4L Sirius II engine is actually a Mitsubishi-designed engine. You might have some luck doing a quick search for antifreeze leaks with Mitsubishis as well.

[Edit: There was also a 2.4L Hyundai engine (Theta II) used starting in 2005, but it had a timing chain, so that's not what you're dealing with].
Thanks Hyunelan that is good to know. It may sound like I don't like Nissans but I do, they are hard to work on compared to the old 60s cars but they have the old 60s cars beat when it comes to longevity but I still like the oldies also. I built some mean machines back then.

What do you think of the Hyundia engine?

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Jack of all - master none

2005 KIA Timing belts

Hyundai engines - the actual Hyundai engines, not the Mitsu sourced ones from early on, are solid. Just keep up with the timing belts and always use the Hyundai ATF in the transmissions. The Beta II and Delta engines are the ones you need to pay attention to timing belts. The Theta, Lambda, and later engines moved to timing chains. Some early lambda engines had a slight problem with timing chain noise due to a bad tensioner, but that was only a few of the first Sonatas that used them. Their new direct injection engines are awesome, especially considering the turbo versions can still use regular gas (something Nissan's V6s can't do).

I had an '02 Elantra (bought new) for 8 years - never had a problem with the 2.0L Beta II
I still have an '04 Santa Fe (bought new) with the 2.7L Delta engine. I hate the Delta engine, performance wise. No power curve until about 3800rpm, then all the power comes on at once - it's like driving a vehicle with turbo lag. The BetaII and Delta engines were workhorses for the Hyundai/Kia fleets, nothing really bad to say about them other than they weren't cutting edge technology for power and fuel efficiency. That has changed with Hyundai's new engines.

I bought a pickup in 2010 and planned on keeping the Elantra around forever, but got tired of playing musical chairs in my driveway to get cars in and out of the garage, so I sold it to my father-in-law who uses it as his commuter instead of his F150. Still running fine, with only some new tires and brakes on it.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
STAFF

2005 KIA Timing belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Hyundai engines - the actual Hyundai engines, not the Mitsu sourced ones from early on, are solid. Just keep up with the timing belts and always use the Hyundai ATF in the transmissions. The Beta II and Delta engines are the ones you need to pay attention to timing belts. The Theta, Lambda, and later engines moved to timing chains. Some early lambda engines had a slight problem with timing chain noise due to a bad tensioner, but that was only a few of the first Sonatas that used them. Their new direct injection engines are awesome, especially considering the turbo versions can still use regular gas (something Nissan's V6s can't do).

I had an '02 Elantra (bought new) for 8 years - never had a problem with the 2.0L Beta II
I still have an '04 Santa Fe (bought new) with the 2.7L Delta engine. I hate the Delta engine, performance wise. No power curve until about 3800rpm, then all the power comes on at once - it's like driving a vehicle with turbo lag. The BetaII and Delta engines were workhorses for the Hyundai/Kia fleets, nothing really bad to say about them other than they weren't cutting edge technology for power and fuel efficiency. That has changed with Hyundai's new engines.

I bought a pickup in 2010 and planned on keeping the Elantra around forever, but got tired of playing musical chairs in my driveway to get cars in and out of the garage, so I sold it to my father-in-law who uses it as his commuter instead of his F150. Still running fine, with only some new tires and brakes on it.
Hyunelan, I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain that for me, that is some good information.

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
World's Tallest Midget

2005 KIA Timing belts

I guess I could relay my first hand experience. We have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L 5 speed that we bought new, actually, 6 years ago this month. The only new car we've ever had, and it has 120K miles on it now. Seriously, the only thing we've ever done to it is normal maintenance and we had to have the A/C Compressor and Condenser replaced (under warranty). This thing has been dead nuts reliable, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in a minute (although, I'm flabbergasted as to why they don't offer AWD in their cars, there's snow on the ground 5 months out of the year at our house and it would be nice to have).

My only gripes would be its a little low on power (I think I may have gotten one of the cams off a tooth when I did the timing belt, so that may be my fault), and the center console lid is really flimsy. But if that's all you got, you aren't doing too bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 4

2005 KIA Timing belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I am in the process of changing out the timing belts on our daughter's 2005 KIA Optima 2.4L LX. There are several teeth missing and I hope the valves haven't hit the pistons yet. I am finding a wide price range with the belt kits, they range from $115-$278 with water pump. Has anyone ever used or heard of http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-99-05-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-Sonata-Kia-2-4L-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-G4JS-/260881634831?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2005|Make%3AKia|Model%3AOptima&vxp=mt r&hash=item3cbdc1d60f

I don't want to get a low quality part or to get shafted. Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find a decent price and product other than paying a war pension of the parts?
I'm sure you know this, but there's a big difference in the quality of belts - depending on who made them, and to what specs. You'll also see price differences depending on whether it's a new, or rebuilt, water pump. Some kits might not include the idlers, etc.

Personally, I would never buy something like that online. I'm fortunate enough to have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts nearby, but I'd still want to buy locally. Returns are easy, and it's good to have somebody to stand across the counter from in order to ask questions.

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote