Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

2003 ford focus engine acts like its starving for fuel

hi,
i have a 2003 ford focus wagon se. when driving along, sometimes the engine will die down, and then pickup, then run ok. does it quite often now. the car has 120,000 miles on it, and has never had anything replaced on the engine except for spark plugs and a thermostat housing. im thinking maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed, and if that doesnt cure it, maybe the injectors need cleaning, or maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. any ideas? i dont think its electrical/electronic, but it could be...bob
bobo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
I have gas!

I think you nailed it with the fuel filter. That's where I would start.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Do all the recommended maintenance listed in a Haynes service manual (auto parts store) or factory service manual set (order from helminc.com), and you will find that your vehicle runs much better!
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo60 View Post
hi,
i have a 2003 ford focus wagon se. when driving along, sometimes the engine will die down, and then pickup, then run ok. does it quite often now. the car has 120,000 miles on it, and has never had anything replaced on the engine except for spark plugs and a thermostat housing. im thinking maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed, and if that doesnt cure it, maybe the injectors need cleaning, or maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. any ideas? i dont think its electrical/electronic, but it could be...bob
take it to a shop that u can trust. always start with the computer. have it scanned for codes. don't bother with anything else untill u scan that computer.what you get might surprise you.
i won't mention it now cause if i tell you after you won't be mad at me
cowboy dan is offline   Reply With Quote