2001 GMC Savana Headlights Stuck On - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2001 GMC Savana Headlights stuck on

The headlights on my 2001 GMC Savana (AKA Chevy Express) suddenly will not turn off, they stay on with the key and switch off. The DtRL were usually dimmer, but now the headlights are on regular bright. The headlight switch still works, the parking lights & dash lights switch off and on and I can only switch between hi-lo beams when the headlight switch is fully on. The manual says there is a headlamp relay for each the hi & lo beams under the hood, but I cannot find it. It is not in the fuse/relay block on the driver's side under the hood and it is not on the relay block with the flasher relay under the dash. Is there another place where this relay might be, or am I reading something wrong.

Advertisement

growinupinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I figured out how to not have to disconnect the battery cable every time I need to turn the van off more than 5 minutes. I still cannot find the hi & lo beam headlight relay, but I pulled the 15 amp DRL fuse in the interior fuse panel. Now the lights will not stay on, but of course I do not have DRL. Oh well. If anyone knows where else the relay may be located, I'd love to find it.

Thanks,
Frank.

Advertisement

growinupinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 518

Pushing the parking brake pedal down a click should inhibit the DRLs, but it may not work if the DRL module or relay is stuck. According to the service manual for my '99 Express, the DRL relay is under the dashboard below the instrument panel. On my '99, there is no separate relay for the headlights, as far as I can tell.

I would start by pulling the DRL relay, maybe the DRL module itself, which is in the same general area.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 518

Also, I've just sent you a private message with some info on the DRL circuit operation. Hopefully your '01 isn't too different from my '99.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote