2001 Chev Silverado Will Not Start - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 254

2001 Chev Silverado will not start

My daughter's boyfriend, Meathead, seems to have a starting problem with his 2001 Chev Silverado. Everything was fine when he parked it. no "Service Engine" light. Went to start it and nothing. No click, no nothing. The dash and exterior lights work normally, battery is good, and terminals are clean. If you turn the key to start, there is no dimming of lights, certainly no current going to the starter. Tried both keys. No codes came up in my scanner. Disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes to see if anything would reset. No change.
I am guessing it may be in theft mode as I seem to recall a friend having a similar problem a few years ago. Can't remember how it was fixed.
Does this sound like theft mode? If not, anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Probably the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column. Sometimes the rod from the lock gets bent, sometimes the switch itself is out of position or loose and sometimes the switch just goes bad.

Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 546

on GMs, SECURITY light will be flashing, if it's BCM locking down starting system. Most folks at truck forums say that trucks will start but die right away, as BCM shuts down fuel pump. Normal fix is to re-synch key and BCM.

It does sound like ignition module issue. Of course, fuses need to be checked either.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

just for the heck of it, try tapping with hammer handle on starter. Also, for the heck of it, try different battery or jumping.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 518

Connect a jumper to the solenoid on the starter. Put the truck in park, turn the ignition switch to run. Touch the positive battery terminal with the the other end of the jumper. If the truck starts, you have a bad ignition switch. If nothing happens, you have a bad solenoid/starter.

I bought a remote starter switch that does the same thing, but allows you to hook the solenoid to the positive battery terminal then stand off to the side and push a button to start the vehicle. It cost $8.
Bigplanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #6

ukrkoz...the security light is flashing which made me think it was a security issue, but he tells me the light has been flashing since he bought the truck a few years ago.
Will check the things others have recommended and see if I can get "the kid" mobile again. I am amazed how little he and his friends know about mechanical things (or things in general) , but ask them about the latest video game and they won't shut up. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #7

if security light flashes, it's BCM>
here's the thing. if you , sorry, if he had alarm or remote start installed, BCM had to be bypassed, and there's very laborious procedure to do that, and many installers cut corners. so far, as I own one from 2000, and am regular at 4 Chevy truck forums, that was the main cause of BCM related no-starts on GM vehicles.
I doubt he even has chipped key, mine does not. BCMs on those trucks are very temperamental, and sensitive to all kinds of situations virtually normal in anyone's life. He'll end up going to dealership and having them reset BCM. it's proprietary s/w thing.

WHY IN THE WORLD WILL ONE BUY A TRUCK WITH FLASHING SECURITY LIGHT??????????????????????
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

A flashing security lamp only means it has a factory theft deterrent, if you turn the key and it stays steady then you have a theft issue. I would NOT jump the starter solenoid with a jumper wire, instead get a 12v test lamp and connect clamp side to negative battery post, pointed end on positive side (just to test connections) then put that pointed end on the starter solenoid and have someone turn the key and try to start the engine. If the test light comes on, replace the starter.
D-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #9

well, SECURITY should come up at door open/ key turn, flash several times, and vanish. if it keeps flashing, you do have BCM thinking car's being tempered with.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,182

The neutral safety switch would be near the top of my list of things to check.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
well, SECURITY should come up at door open/ key turn, flash several times, and vanish. if it keeps flashing, you do have BCM thinking car's being tempered with.

If it's being tampered with then the horn and lights will flash, if the bcm dosen't like the key code then it stays steady, it should not be on steady or flash after key is turned on and goes through the self check.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #12

well, not all of them have chipped keys. it works somehow else. mine does not. from what I read in trucks forums, not many actually do have honking and any type of noises. but it is most wise not to channel this down into BCM only route. of course, there might be other venues.
what needs to be found is what exactly had Meathead done to cause this? it's known fact that people have tendency of not being forthcoming in these situations.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rock View Post
A flashing security lamp only means it has a factory theft deterrent, if you turn the key and it stays steady then you have a theft issue. I would NOT jump the starter solenoid with a jumper wire, instead get a 12v test lamp and connect clamp side to negative battery post, pointed end on positive side (just to test connections) then put that pointed end on the starter solenoid and have someone turn the key and try to start the engine. If the test light comes on, replace the starter.
It was the starter. We replaced it today and all is good. Funny thing is, I would have thought the headlights would have dimmed when I tried to start it indicating a current draw, and therefore a starter problem, but it never did. Also, many years ago when I used to drive older cars and had a few starter issues, they always gave me a hint they were going a few days/weeks before. Never had one complete pack it in so suddenly. Then again, maybe it did give hints, and the boyfriend never noticed.
I was sure it had something to do with security. Anyway thanks for the suggestion, and thanks to everyone.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
what needs to be found is what exactly had Meathead done to cause this? it's known fact that people have tendency of not being forthcoming in these situations.
I really don't think he has the wherewithal to do anything to have caused anything. I am surprised he knows where the gas filler is. As mentioned, it was the starter and perhaps if he listened to his truck, he might have noticed the starter starting to fail. I guarantee he would notice if one of his speakers was acting up. Priorities I guess.
Thanks for your help and suggestions. Again thanks to all. It was appreciated.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
It was the starter. We replaced it today and all is good. Funny thing is, I would have thought the headlights would have dimmed when I tried to start it indicating a current draw, and therefore a starter problem, but it never did. Also, many years ago when I used to drive older cars and had a few starter issues, they always gave me a hint they were going a few days/weeks before. Never had one complete pack it in so suddenly. Then again, maybe it did give hints, and the boyfriend never noticed.
I was sure it had something to do with security. Anyway thanks for the suggestion, and thanks to everyone.

Glad it's fixed!! Most of todays starters are magnetic and don't draw as much power as they did in the older days. They don't even "click" when bad, just dead.

Advertisement