2 Cycle Engine No Spark - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2 cycle engine no spark

I've got an old Mac 2816 that has no spark. Initially I tried changing the spark plug with no result. Next I disconnected the kill switch, (which had a small fray on the insulation of the wire going to it. I still got no spark when I cranked it. At this point I suspected either a worn or sheared flywheel key or a faulty ignition module. Both the key, and the keyway were in good shape, showing no wear, or deformity. Finally I was able to find a new ignition module for the machine, (no small feat in itself), but after swapping out the old one, I still have no spark.
Since I had the recoil start housing off the machine I spun the engine using an industrial electric dril at approx 175 rpm.
It's a pretty simple circuit, with no interlocks or anything that I'm aware of. As a result, I'm stumped. Does anyone out there have any new ideas I can try?

Advertisement

walkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,182

2 cycle engine no spark

Not sure, but I'm thinking that the "kill switch" is simply a ground, so you disconnected it, but did you repair or replace the frayed wire? If not, it seems that could be your problem.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

2 cycle engine no spark

It's also possible that you bought a defective module. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

2 cycle engine no spark

when you say ignition module do you mean coil? if so did you use a feeler gauge to set the gap from the magneto to coil?
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote