Wiping Away Mold, Visible And Unvisible, With Clorox Underneath The House - Safety - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety


CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nik333
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 2 Post By ChuckF.
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By Yoyoyoyo
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Hi, this is my first post. Iím happy to see that there is an active online community on the subject of diy. My current project is my dad wanting me to go underneath the house to wipe down all the surfaces of all the ďtimbersĒ (vertical supports) to treat for mold. Heís instructing me to use a bucket filled with Clorox and water and a sponge. My first concern is one of safety. Is a paper mask good enough to protect me from breathing in the Clorox in an unventilated area? Or in order to be totally precautious should I buy a better mask? I know Clorox to be toxic, I just donít know to what degree. My second concern is it really necessary to wipe down ALL the surfaces of the vertical supports? There is only visible mold in certain areas, and it shows up as little black dots. Dad says that there may be mold that we canít see and so I should wipe down everything. Since wiping down everything would make the job take at least 5 times as long, I just would appreciate a second opinion on this before undertaking the task.Thanks!

Advertisement

Yoyoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


If anyone has any additional advice on this task that would be appreciated too!

Advertisement

Yoyoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 3,038
Rewards Points: 1,728
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoyoyo View Post
Hi, this is my first post. I’m happy to see that there is an active online community on the subject of diy. My current project is my dad wanting me to go underneath the house to wipe down all the surfaces of all the “timbers” (vertical supports) to treat for mold. He’s instructing me to use a bucket filled with Clorox and water and a sponge. My first concern is one of safety. Is a paper mask good enough to protect me from breathing in the Clorox in an unventilated area? Or in order to be totally precautious should I buy a better mask? I know Clorox to be toxic, I just don’t know to what degree. My second concern is it really necessary to wipe down ALL the surfaces of the vertical supports? There is only visible mold in certain areas, and it shows up as little black dots. Dad says that there may be mold that we can’t see and so I should wipe down everything. Since wiping down everything would make the job take at least 5 times as long, I just would appreciate a second opinion on this before undertaking the task.Thanks!
This is pretty good advice, I think: https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/flood/pdfs/bleach_safety.pdf You can also look at CDC ( Center For Disease Control) info, or OSHA or the SDS ( Safety Data Sheet) but they have very detailed scary info.

Yes, bleach can be very dangerous, but millions use it daily in dilute concentration. Make sure to check the % of bleach as it has been the stronger 8% lately rather than 5%.

Besides gloves & googles, a mask is a good idea if the smell is strong. Ventilate the area if you can, but since mold loves poor ventilation, it's probably poorly ventilated there. If the smell of bleach is too strong with a lighter mask get a thicker mask like an N-95. Light hospital style masks are only really good for 10 min.

Make sure to dilute it. Use whatever light dilution works.

If you get dizzy or have other problems, stop.

I once cleaned someone else's really filthy carpet outside & ended up with hives. But, I used a lot of bleach. I had the hose running on the carpet. It was probably a chemical reaction between what was on the carpet- ammonia (fr. dog urine) & chlorine bleach. Just chlorine gas, serious stuff

I hate using bleach but use it almost every day.

Maybe someone else can recommend something to lessen the mold's growth.

As the write up says, make sure to take a shower after & wash your clothes.

You could spray the diluted chlorine bleach all over & come back the next day to wipe it down.
boruss39 likes this.

Last edited by Nik333; 04-07-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 796
Rewards Points: 276
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Use a product called mold control. Conchrobium I believe is the spelling. It kills the mold and will prevent it from coming back. It will work out better than the bleach spray. Also safer then bleach


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


A pro would be using a product like this.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bo...lQCBoCTVvw_wcB
It's applyed with a pump sprayer.
It not only will kill the mold and prevent it from coming back, but kill any wood boring insects that try to eat through it by dehydrating them.
Gymschu likes this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,207
Rewards Points: 414
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Instead of doing this, it makes sense to change the conditions under the house so that mold won't grow there and any there is will die. If the ground under the house is wet, find out why and keep the water out. If it's too humid, ventilate it to the outdoors or condition it like the rest of the house.

What state do you live in? Why would mold grow under the house?
joecaption and Nik333 like this.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Also if it's a dirt floor crawl space is there a vapor barrier on the ground?
Nik333 likes this.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Re: Wiping away mold, visible and unvisible, with Clorox underneath the house


Thank you for all the responses and sorry for not checking the website earlier. There is a vapor barrier on the ground. We have a fan on one side of the house and a few small crawlspace openings around the perimeter, but not many. The house was built in the late 60's. We've only detected mold in two spots so far. I live in north Florida. We've got moisture under there and the moisture gets worst during the humid months.
Nik333 likes this.

Advertisement

Yoyoyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mold removal , under the house


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1