Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Think - Am I doing something stupid?

Doing some work in the basement this weekend. I had my safety goggles on, my gloves, long sleeves etc. This did not protect me when the drill caught on a knot. The handle of the drill and the heavy rechargeable battery continued to spin and whacked me square in the chin.

Wearing safety gear did not keep me safe from being stupid. My chin looks like a raspberry - thank god it I didn't catch it in my mouth. I am sure it would have broken my teeth.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

hope you feel better soon.........chin and ego.

DepotDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like something I had done. I just purchased a brand new set of self feeding hole saw bits. These are not your lowes or home depot hole plug cutters, this one actually turns all the hole into chips. I used my Milwaukee 1/2 angle drill and started to drill. When the chipper portion came into contact with the wood the drill spun. Let me tell you, a full size right angle 1/2" drive drill does not stop on a dime like a battery drill does. I was on a ladder, when this thing hit my forehead it knocked me off the ladder. had one heck of a bump.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

I think this type of thing has happened to all of us at least once. Hopefully it becomes a learning experience and not a chance to make sure your insurance card is still valid.

Battery drills can be quite torquey and need to be respected lest what has happened to you can and will happen.

Always be prepared for something like this to happen. Keep your body and your arms in a position to hold the drill so it will not rip itself from your hands. But also be in a position that if something should happen, you are not in the line of fire.

I had a drill spin and pin my hand against a wall a few times when I could not get a good position and regretted not finding a better way.

Also know a kid that had a hammer drill (big) and was drilling through a block wall while standing on a ladder, the drill over his head. The drill caught and spun around, whacked him in the top of the head.

No damage that 1/2 dozen stiches couldn't fix and something for the embarassment.

Another work friend was using a conduit bender as a lever and slipped and whacked herself in the head.

again, about 1/2 dozen stiches and she was good as new, other than the embarrasment.

Always think about what might happen and prepare. I know that is easier for those of us that do things like this all the time but you need to think about your situation as well. Maybe because we do this all the time, you need to think more.

Glad to hear the injury was slight. Don;t forget; the best action is to get right back on the horse.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Building and plumbing

Nap, I hear you on the hammerdrill. I have the biggest milwaukee they made at the time (3) years ago. I was drilling into a concrete slab and the bit caught one of the reinforcing wires. OUCH!! Now I watch it very close!
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

If your cordless drill is high powered and has a lot of torque, try using the clutch. Seems like most folks leave it set on the drill setting 24x7. Whenever I drill into stucco with a masonry bit, I dial it down so that drill bit doesn't slip under load in the stucco but, if the spade tip catches in the metal screen or gets caught on the staple beneath the stucco layer, I get a ratchety whee!!! instead of a sprained wrist or bruised face. Try it. Dial it down until the drill bit repeatedly slips under load and then go up one or two. Surely won't hurt the clutch if you adjust it correctly since that what the clutch is designed for.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #7

Just out of curiosity, what were you doing that had the drill so close to your face?
wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #8

Hehe it happens.
raam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Why the drill was so close to my face? Because I was being stupid, of course.

What was I doing while I was being stupid? That's a different question. I was drilling a hole in a joist in my basement. The timber in my basement is 200 years old and is hard as a rock, so I had to put a good bit of force on the drill to drill a hole. I couldn't do this holding the drill up over my head, so I was on a ladder. This put my head in between the joist, and my chin right where the drill kicked.

Here's the thing that bugs me. I am pretty anal about my safety because I often work by alone and I am on blood thinners. I think two things combined together resulting in my injury (I won't call it an accident) 1) it didn't occur to me what would happen when the drill bogged down because I lack some experience in how tools react; and 2) I initiated action without thinking about what I was doing first.

I think #2 was the bigger problem.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

It happens....

As said previously turning up the clutch on the drill if equipped will help, but with power tools you always have to be ready for something like that.
Appropriate pressure, sharp bits, etc help but it can always happen.

I have been whacked a few times by pipe handles on drills myself punching holes in a safe with a rig attached to it.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
I blame ProWallGuy

Well, some good came out of it. At least you know you can still take a punch.

Here's mud in your eye, erm, saw dust!
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
When is fishing season?

I was helping a friend one day, and he had this big old honkin milwakee drill that his grandfather bought back in the 50's. this thing was a torque monster. I was drilling a 3/4" hole through 2-2x4's for some pex. Using an auger bit, it caught and spun and got my hand against the stud. It wasn't that bad, but now I remember to position myself where that isn't going to happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

ALWAYS use TWO HANDS on when drilling.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #14

Always think: "What could go wrong here?", and "What's going to happen to me if it does?"
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

It could have been worse!!!!!!!
You could have fallen from the ladder etc. etc.
I hate despise googles, but they are worth it! Especially the ones that are like glasses that allow air to circulate; the other kind that can fog up one's vision are in my opionion dangerous. Ive had both eyes injured because of no wearing googles!!!!! Almost went blind in one eye....

Safety First!!!!!

sssalas is offline   Reply With Quote