DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Safety (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/)
-   -   Table saw, spark and sawdust (http://www.diychatroom.com/f45/table-saw-spark-sawdust-89302/)

Shamus 12-11-2010 06:33 AM

Table saw, spark and sawdust
 
Posted this in another Form and wanted to mention it here as well.

I recycle a lot of hardwood plank flooring. Typically half of the wood I get someone else has pulled up and I either pick it up or they deliver. I have a standard way I process the flooring. I sort by width and separate anything that needs milling to refresh the tongue or grove as well as the ends.

Last night I ran a dozen or so boards through the table saw to cut off broken tongues so I could mill new ones today. I shut everything down, checked that I hadn’t left anything on and walked out of the shop back to the house. Well about 20 minutes later I thought I’d run back out in the cold one more time and bring in a wood plane I’d picked up at auction and pull it apart for cleaning.

When I opened the door to the shop I smelled something burning. Turned on the light and the whole shop was filled with smoke but no flame anyplace. I grabbed the extinguisher and walked around, felt all the wires, they were cold to the touch so I knew it wasn’t electrical.

I ran around in a panic for a few minutes and decided I needed to open the door and get a fan on to pull out the smoke so I could find where and what was smoldering. I had pulled out the catch drawer under the saw and didn’t find anything. The smoke was rising from the top corner of the table. I pulled off the table saw blade insert and with a flashlight saw a smoldering black patch, about a handful, trapped in the inside corner of my table saw base.

I decided that a Windex spray bottle would work and it did.
I am pretty anal about using my metal detector on every piece of recycled wood that I touch. All I can figure is I missed one board and it had a piece of nail in it that the saw blade took off or sparked and threw it into the corner inside the saw.
I shudder to think what would of happened if I hadn’t gone out after that old plane.

Lesson learned. I will be double checking for nails from now on.

Also, had I connected the saw to my dust collector I'm wondering if a spark or hot nail would have found it's way to the dust bag.

BigJim 12-11-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shamus (Post 549383)
Posted this in another Form and wanted to mention it here as well.

I recycle a lot of hardwood plank flooring. Typically half of the wood I get someone else has pulled up and I either pick it up or they deliver. I have a standard way I process the flooring. I sort by width and separate anything that needs milling to refresh the tongue or grove as well as the ends.

Last night I ran a dozen or so boards through the table saw to cut off broken tongues so I could mill new ones today. I shut everything down, checked that I hadnít left anything on and walked out of the shop back to the house. Well about 20 minutes later I thought Iíd run back out in the cold one more time and bring in a wood plane Iíd picked up at auction and pull it apart for cleaning.

When I opened the door to the shop I smelled something burning. Turned on the light and the whole shop was filled with smoke but no flame anyplace. I grabbed the extinguisher and walked around, felt all the wires, they were cold to the touch so I knew it wasnít electrical.

I ran around in a panic for a few minutes and decided I needed to open the door and get a fan on to pull out the smoke so I could find where and what was smoldering. I had pulled out the catch drawer under the saw and didnít find anything. The smoke was rising from the top corner of the table. I pulled off the table saw blade insert and with a flashlight saw a smoldering black patch, about a handful, trapped in the inside corner of my table saw base.

I decided that a Windex spray bottle would work and it did.
I am pretty anal about using my metal detector on every piece of recycled wood that I touch. All I can figure is I missed one board and it had a piece of nail in it that the saw blade took off or sparked and threw it into the corner inside the saw.
I shudder to think what would of happened if I hadnít gone out after that old plane.

Lesson learned. I will be double checking for nails from now on.

Also, had I connected the saw to my dust collector I'm wondering if a spark or hot nail would have found it's way to the dust bag.

Wow, that could have turned out really bad. I have had smoldering sawdust before also, it does give one a bad feeling. Glad you caught it before things got worse.

frenchelectrican 12-26-2010 11:09 PM

I will add one more items here with dust collectors If you have flexiable plastic pipes or ridge pipes Please run a bare conductor inside the pipe I know you may say I am nuts but I am not due the bare conductor will supressed the spark or static charge and if you have steel pipes that fine but if have flexiable peice if that is plastic please do run the jumper bond useally #12 or #10 AWG will do the trick.

I have see few dust collector catch on fire even on industrail verison one very large wood shop did have fire spinker inside the dust collecter pipe work to supressed the fire which it did allready few time.

Merci.
Marc


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved