Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
diy retard ;)

Rewards Points: 25

Smoke detector - Living room with FP and fan

I'm not sure where I should install the smoke detector in my living room. The front door is on one side of the room in a corner, and the fireplace is on the opposite wall. there is a ceiling fan in the center of the room. Should I put it on the ceiling on the opposite side of the room from the fireplace between the door and the entrance to the kitchen (and how far away from the wall?)?

Thanks!

Jan

><(((jan(((D> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Since you have a fireplace, I would locate the detector across the room from it to avoid false alarms when the fireplace is in use. Keep it away from furnace air vents that may divert any smoke from the unit. I would place it on the ceiling due to the fact that smoke rises. If a detector HAS to be placed on a wall, it should be 5 to 12 inches below the ceiling.
From the Michigan Fire Inspectors Society:

One of the most important inventions of modern times is the smoke detectors. They are inexpensive and rather easy to install. The following rules are important.
First install a smoke detector within 15 feet of all sleeping areas. Ideally, a smoke detector should be installed in every room.
Install a smoke detector on each level of your home.
Smoke detectors are also recommended in laundry and furnace rooms.
Smoke detectors run on batteries in most cases. The battery should be checked weekly and replaced when the battery becomes low, minimally, 2 times a year when you change your clocks.
NEVER remove the battery without replacing it.
NEVER use a smoke detector battery for other uses. Nothing can be more important than an operable smoke detector.
When traveling, take a smoke detector with you for your family's safety.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
diy retard ;)

the detector i got was Kiddie's Kitchen and Living Room with the photoelectric technology.. i guess it was designed to halt false alarms due to fireplaces. at any rate, i do plan on using the fireplace a lot, and am wondering if i should even have one in the living room because it would be a pain if the detector went off all the time.... there's one already in the adjacent hallway and kitchen (next room over).
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well, consider your options. You can decide not to install one to alleviate false alarms, OR install one and disable (remove) it if you have a false alarm problem. Removing it later would only entail patching a couple small holes, whereas, not having it and needing it could be a lot more dangerous.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

The alarm must also be installed a minumum distance away for the wall, as smoke will not pentrate into the wall ceiling corner so well. I beleive this distance is 6", but I'm not sure offhand so hopefully someone else here can verify that.

I was also under the impression that smoke alarms had to be interconnected these days. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on when this is, and isn't required?
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
HarryHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ><(((jan(((D> View Post
the detector i got was Kiddie's Kitchen and Living Room with the photoelectric technology.. i guess it was designed to halt false alarms due to fireplaces. at any rate, i do plan on using the fireplace a lot, and am wondering if i should even have one in the living room because it would be a pain if the detector went off all the time.... there's one already in the adjacent hallway and kitchen (next room over).
For pease of mind, why not temporaraly place it in the living room ltke on a shelf or other hi spot as a test. Move to a permanent location when satisfied about the potential false alarm situation. Enjoy your fireplace!!
HarryHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
diy retard ;)

that's a good idea, harry! i'll have to try that.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanterDan View Post
The alarm must also be installed a minumum distance away for the wall, as smoke will not pentrate into the wall ceiling corner so well. I beleive this distance is 6", but I'm not sure offhand so hopefully someone else here can verify that.
The Kiddie CO & smoke detector I just installed yesterday said minimum 4" down from the ceiling and 4" in from the wall corner.

Interestingly, though, the hardwired smoke detector also in the room isn't 4" down - it may be centered 4" down from the ceiling, but the whole unit definitely is not.

Yes, I have 2 smoke detectors in the one room. The room is heated by a gas fireplace, and if the power were to go out, it would be our primary refuge (forced air heating doesn't work w/o power). And if the power's out, I don't trust whatever built-in, non-replaceable battery might be inside.
NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingsLevel View Post
The Kiddie CO & smoke detector I just installed yesterday said minimum 4" down from the ceiling and 4" in from the wall corner.

Interestingly, though, the hardwired smoke detector also in the room isn't 4" down - it may be centered 4" down from the ceiling, but the whole unit definitely is not.

Yes, I have 2 smoke detectors in the one room. The room is heated by a gas fireplace, and if the power were to go out, it would be our primary refuge (forced air heating doesn't work w/o power). And if the power's out, I don't trust whatever built-in, non-replaceable battery might be inside.
Smoke detectors must be 120v interconnected located in each sleeping area (rooms with closets), within 15 feet of sleeping areas, no closer than 3' from heat ducts or returns, no closer than 12" from peak of ceiling and within 3' of peak ceiling, one located when elevation changes such as having one in a hallway and in the cathedral ceiling, one in unfinished basement and one in finished portion of basement. Also may want to consider using one smoke carbon combo on each level.
wooderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #10

IIRC the interconnected thing is for major remodels and additions, not just "adding them" Hell I have 2 in my house and ithey're both within 15 feet (direct line) of each other and all 3 1/2 bedrooms........ Split levels are so much fun
mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
DIY Witch

Hi guys.. I'm new to the group but both my husband and I are nationally certified firefighters and I am a firefighter evaluator.. When in fire science we were always taught never in a corner, most certainly and that more than just one or two are necessary particularly in a larger home.. one in the entry to the hallway if there was one and one outside each room, and one in the kitchen..
Here is a super link to a diagram of where they should be placed.
http://www.sccfd.org/pub_ed/smoke_detectors.html

Robbi
http://www.howdididoit.com
ladymacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Good info there LadyMacBeth. Thanks for posting it. It's tragic, but many people think that A smoke detector, as in one, is sufficient. Many AC smoke detectors are well beyond their expiration date and therefore suspect with regard to their smoke detection sensitivity.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
DIY Witch

and the simple truth is that one is NOT enough.
I'm not sure if I am permitted to do this or not, but (if I'm not someone will no doubt delete the post.LOL). so... Here is a link to an article that I've written on Smoke detectors and child safety teaching.

http://www.howdididoit.com/17/682/

It is SO important, particularly this time of year, that we have a plan for the kids to get out, and teach them the smart thing to do if, heaven forbid, there is a fire in our home.

The holidays, with all the extra lights, and the extra drain on power, as well as candles, and our furnaces or fireplaces just coming on for the season is truly the time to be the most aware of things like this. So often we saw fires during this time of year.

I'm fairly passionate about how important smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are and in a lot of cases people think just having those, is enough..
Granted it does help, but its not by any means the be all and end all of fire safety.
Take the time to get some good information and share it with your families.. It could make a huge difference in your holiday.
Warm Wishes.
Lady Macbeth
Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks for that link LMcB.

I inform my customers of potential safety hazards where they are locking out or removing a point of egress such as patio doors, rear laundry room doors, and side doors of garages. In an effort to make their homes more secure to break-ins and thefts, many folks unknowingly create a very unsafe situation such as a deadbolt keyed on both sides, a keyed patio door lock, etc. with the keys hung off to the side somewhere on a cup hook or in a drawer. I try to remind them that in the middle of the night, when one is awakened by the screech of a smoke detector alarm or CO detector alarm, disoriented and in the dark with smoke or CO, it's not a good time to first go fumbling around for keys to unlock locks with.

And yes, we have several fire extinguishers in our home. No home in 2007 should be without them. They're inexpensive enough to buy and the ABC dry chemical ones are a real no-brainer to use.

I hope you'll keep posting the safety stuff. I'm a firm belever that we can never get enough of it.

Have a terrific Sunday!
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
DIY Witch

Kudos to you for that posts..

What do you recommend that they do with the keys to keep them accessible and so that everyone knows where they are?

thats something you just taught me, because I've not addressed double locks and issues such as those in my articles or comments.. and I should.

and Happy Sunday to you too..
It's a super sunny day here in Nebraska.