Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Share |
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


I don't know if this is in the right place or not. I'm sorry if I placed it in the wrong place.

I have been scared of gas appliances for ever since I can remember. (I'm only a 13 year old kid.) I'm pretty much the expert at HVAC equipment in my school. Yes, I'm 13, and I know a lot about HVAC because I was interested in it ever since I was like 5 years old.

Anyways, I'd like to get rid of this stupid gas appliance phobia. IDK why, but even with a QUALIFIED EXPERT TECHNICIAN SITTING ABOUT 5 FEET FROM ME I will not take the front off the old Comfortmaker/Climate Control/SnyderGeneral furnace from 1983 in his workshop. And then, he accidentally bumped it on and when I heard the spark ignitor I ran for my life. But once the thing ignited I got about 2 feet away from it to see the pretty blue flames.

I know these furnaces have rollout switches, thermocouples (if it has a pilot light,) limit switches and all that. But why am I still scared? It is different with air conditioners/air handlers/electric furnaces. Additionally, it's the same way with both GAS and ELECTRIC water heaters.

I know there is nothing to be afraid of. But how can I get over this fear? Please help, because I really want to go into a career involving HVAC and can't with these fears. Please help, and any method would be accepted.

ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,546
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Just making a wild guess, is your mother also afraid of a gas stove?
The reason I ask is everyone I know that has a phobia about something it's also because there mom was.
Fear of flying, the water, thunder storms, heights whatever.

Yes gas needs to be respected, but I'd be willing to bet there's at least 10 times more people killed by electical things then gas ever did. At least I can smell gas.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


We don't have a gas stove. We have electric. At my old house we did have a gas stove, and I was never scared of it.

I just don't understand why I'm scared. And I have no clue on how to fix it.
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,635
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAFan View Post
We don't have a gas stove. We have electric. At my old house we did have a gas stove, and I was never scared of it.

I just don't understand why I'm scared. And I have no clue on how to fix it.

Thats what psychiatrists were made for.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Thats what psychiatrists were made for.

Exactly.

And while you are there try to figure out why you want to pretend to be a thirteen year old kid.

Go stir it up elsewhere
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Green Deal Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 6
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Nothing worried about the Gas Appliances. I suggest here some solutions about this problem as below.

- Check all the tools for Gas Appliances are guaranteed or not.
- Check the tools perfectly before use.
- Keep the Fire Safety in your house always.
- Try to Safe your House, Specially the kitchen from with Fire safety.
- You can take a help of Specialist for that to keep your home safe.
greendealmanage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Exactly.

And while you are there try to figure out why you want to pretend to be a thirteen year old kid.

Go stir it up elsewhere
I am 13 years old.

I guess I could. But I guess I could go to a neurologist for a headache.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'm going to try to become an "apprentice" of that HVAC tech that I went to the other day... that should help me get over this phobia because then I'll need to get near the heating equipment.
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


I may be Creeper, but you are just creepy. Just because you say you are a 13 year old kid doesn't make it true. I don't even almost believe you.

I know thirteen year olds. And I know safety covers on furnaces and subsequent pilot lights don't get "accidentally bumped" on. Kids don't say " additionally" or half of the other verbage you are tossing around either.

AND on the silghtest, remotest outside chance that I'm wrong, what specifically do you hope to gain from a do it yourself website.

Would you like us to psychoanalyze you??
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Pretty certain the hvac maintenance team are the experts on hvac at your school.

Very weird thread.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
creeper (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Since when do they teach Hvac in grade 8
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


I did have a friend who was a neighbor when I was about 12 that was into electronics. He probably knew more back then then a lot of adults.

Freaky intelligent on his own interest.

The op would have had to have studied hvac on his own if he knows anything about it, if indeed he's 13.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
ModelAFan (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 99
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Since when do they teach Hvac in grade 8
Believe what you want to believe. But I'm telling the truth, I'm 13 years old.

I know a few kids who know everything about sports because they was "obsessed" with it ever since they were 5. HVAC is my sports, and yes, I'm obsessed with HVAC for some odd reason.

BTW, Doc is right. Nobody taught me about Heating and Cooling. It was something that I went online, read books, and other stuff about. I can practically remember when I was 3 and saying "furnace" all the time.

But it wasn't until recently until I started researching all summer. All I did this past summer was do research on HVAC, and that tought me about all the parts and all that. I'm not saying I know everything about HVAC, because I don't know the mathematical parts of it. And that's what I'm hoping to learn.

Yes, I know over 90% of the parts of a furnace. The things I don't know are stuff that isn't insignificant. But I know the stuff like Draft Inducer, Circulator Blower, Burners, Heat Exchanger, Hot Surface Ignitor (or Spark Ignitor or Pilot Light), Thermocouple (if you have a pilot light), gas valve, roll-out switches, flame sensor, and the other parts like the pressure switch, control module, fan limit control (if you have a older unit), ignition control (if your module isn't integrated), fan control (if your module isn't integrated), and the list goes on.

Last edited by ModelAFan; 11-08-2012 at 07:01 PM.
ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Could be, but don't most savants take up electronics, computers, rocket science. ect
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAFan View Post
Believe what you want to believe. But I'm telling the truth, I'm 13 years old.

I know a few kids who know everything about sports because they was "obsessed" with it ever since they were 5. HVAC is my sports, and yes, I'm obsessed with HVAC for some odd reason.
talk hvac to me. Say something, tell me how to charge a txv'd 410A system.
__________________
Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Scared of Gas Appliances


define :

RH
DP
SH
SC
TR
TD
TD
CFM

and the oils in each refrigerant.

__________________
Thanks.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 11-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deodorizing smelly appliances STL B. Appliances 6 07-19-2012 05:02 PM
Storing Appliances in Unconditioned Space Pittsville Appliances 2 01-05-2012 09:02 PM
Using the correct fuses in appliances? razorcut Electrical 2 06-11-2011 09:38 AM
New stainless appliances poolecw Appliances 2 12-04-2008 02:23 PM
Are European appliances really that much better? home_improver Appliances 2 09-30-2008 06:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.